Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: selling organic pasture raised eggs - price point? & other info  (Read 11553 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Re: selling organic pasture raised eggs - price point? & other info
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 04:52:44 pm »

Just found this info - for small production 2 years seems pretty safe at 70%.  Hopefully within this time we will have found a meat outlet as stewing chickens.

EGG PRODUCTION CYCLE
Birds usually start to lay at around five months (20-21 weeks) of age and continue to lay for 12 months (52 weeks) on average, laying fewer eggs as they near the moulting period.The typical production cycle lasts about 17 months (72 weeks) and involves three distinct phases, as follows.·
Phase 1: Small chicks or brooders. This phase lasts from 0 to 2 months (0-8 weeks) during which time small chicks are kept in facilities (brooder houses) separate from laying birds.
· Phase 2: Growers. This phase lasts about 3 months, from the ninth to the twentieth week of age. Growers may be either housed separately from small chicks or continue to be reared in brooder-cum-grower houses. It is important to provide appropriate care to the growers particularly between their seventeenth and twentieth week of age as their reproductive organs develop during this period.
·Phase 3: Layers. Growers are transferred from the grower house to the layer house when they are 18 weeks old to prepare for the laying cycle. Birds typically lay for a twelve-month period starting when they are about 21 weeks old and lasting until they are about 72 weeks old.
Production planning
On average a bird produces one egg per day. Furthermore, not all birds start to lay exactly when they are 21 weeks old. Planning is therefore required for egg production to be constant so as to meet market demand. A schedule similar to the one shown in Table 2, which indicates on average satisfactory levels of production for a flock of birds, can be used.In areas where the climate is hot and humid, commercial hybrid laying birds produce on average between 180 and 200 eggs per year. In more temperate climates birds can produce on average between 250 and 300 eggs per year. The table below illustrates a typical production schedule in a hot and humid climate.In Table 2 the age of the flock is shown in the first column and the percentage of birds that actually lay during that week of age is shown in the second column. Usually at 21 weeks of age only 5 percent of the flock lay.As shown in the third column, for 100 birds at 21 weeks of age only five would actually be laying. In the fourth column the actual number of eggs produced is shown. On average a bird produces 208 eggs over a twelve-month period, which is a weekly production rate of four eggs per bird. At 21 weeks of age 20 eggs are produced (five birds produce four eggs each) and at 22 weeks 40 eggs are produced, etc.The graph in Figure 3 shows the actual percentage of productive laying flock over a period of time, and the graph in Figure 4 shows the number of eggs produced over a period of time for 100 birds. Egg production rises rapidly and then starts to fall after 31 weeks of age. When less than 65 percent of the flock are laying eggs (71 weeks of age), it may become uneconomical to retain birds. Feed costs and sales of culled birds for meat must be considered as well as prices for eggs. In some instances when egg prices are high it may be viable to delay culling birds until only 45 percent of the flock is still laying eggs (78 weeks of age).Table 2

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:00:42 pm by farmers wife »

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 05:06:13 pm »
Remind me, you're living in Chelsea, right? And nobody else within tem miles has free range eggs for sale at under £2?

Interested to know what market research you've conducted to convince yourself of that selling point given the feedback on here has been 100% clear that nobody else can sell for more than £1.50.

If you put your business hat on and you know your price point has to be £2 to make a profit (without including labour costs) then you should not go ahead with it unless you can afford to 'play' with the money. If you can't, you should find a better way to invest that money - and there are better returns on a thousand pounds (bees and honey has better margins and that sum would kick you off nicely).

H

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 05:38:16 pm »
Here's the Q4 2014 report from DEFRA on UK egg statistics.  They report average farm gate price for free range eggs was 97.8p per dozen down 7.5% from previous year.  Hopefully your area varies!

There's also UK Supermarket Egg Prices which shows the £2 for six premium free range brands tend to be 1) large or very large eggs and 2) marketed as a specific breed (Bluebells, Cream Legbars, Columbian Blacktail...)
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 06:18:39 pm »

Just found this info - for small production 2 years seems pretty safe at 70%. 

I don't understand what you mean by that, can you expand on it?

We currently have 6 girls who are def older than 2 years (2 may be 4) and seem to do well producing 4 eggs per day min.

What breed are these and what breed are you intending to use for layers?

4 eggs per day from 6 birds isn't actually as good as it sounds, its almost down to the level where it becomes uneconomical for egg production and commercial farms would be ready to replace birds at this stage.

6 birds are going to eat at least 1Kg of feed per day, probably a lot more than that being outside, so at £400/tonne thats a very minimum of 40p.

Your 4 eggs have cost 40p in feed alone, before you account for any other costs, thats 60p per half dozen eggs already.

I have bought the feed 1 tonne around £400. Because these chickens will be moved to fresh pasture every 3-4 days we are relying on them eating natures floor over the over consumption of grain.

Have you taken delivery of the feed already? is it a layers ration or just a whole grain?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:15:27 pm by Clansman »

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 08:06:35 pm »
I know that you used to be able to buy 'boiling fowl' but personally, I can't see the market in selling 2yo hybrids(?) as there's not much on them.  Plus you have to try and sell pullet eggs at the start of lay, they don't come out initially as very large eggs. If they're hybrids, they die at the drop of a hat (especially after 12 months when the eggs get bigger but the amount of shell laid down remains the same).

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 01:32:36 pm »
I would have thought that the processing time would out-weigh any income for old hens. 98p per dozen is insane. Surely that is not correct? I cost my eggs at 10p each including feed, bedding and rearing to POL and assuming something like 200 eggs per year. Sell every egg I can get at £1.20 on the gate but that is the last resort. Mine are all pure breeds in pens with cockerels so any good eggs get offered at £1-2 and if they get to 3 days old go on the gate to clear.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 01:50:08 pm »
Depends how they've collected the data on farm gate sales too - I can't really imagine they've been driving round the countryside trying to spot every sign. And plenty don't even have a sign - mine's all word of mouth.

I certainly did quite detailed costings last year and I was going to have to sell at over £2 a half dozen to cover food and bedding costs so, like you Stereo, I try and use as many for hatching as possible (not very successfully this year). Part of the additional costs is feeding the male birds so might as well make use of them - oh, and the crows. Grrr. The geese (sell for £50 per breeding quality bird) and turkeys (Christmas dinners) are the only birds I think I reliably make money from and the latter were just a side line.

H

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 01:52:24 pm »
98p per dozen is insane. Surely that is not correct?

My guess is that the average is distorted by egg producers who primarily supply shops selling their "reject" eggs super cheap at the gate.  It is hard to believe otherwise.  Although it is averaged across the whole of the UK so there could be some areas that are very cheap.
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 02:26:00 pm »
I've certainly never seen any being sold at the roadside below £1.50 a dozen even in quite remote areas

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 05:21:18 pm »
Drive round here a. Bit and you will. Never seen any over a £1

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 05:24:22 pm »
£1 for a dozen?

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 06:06:51 pm »
Oops :eyelashes: no 1/2 dozen

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 06:21:30 pm »
I was almost heading to Devon on my bike there!  :excited:

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 10:20:10 pm »
I must say having been up to North devon on various forays, the roadside prices are lower there. Also I note a lot more people selling eggs at the gate than down here in the South Hams. I've never seen eggs under £1.20 for 6 in South devon in the last few years.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 07:36:23 am »
My sister who lives on a fairly busy road used to sell my eggs for £1-20 a half dozen and had a fair number of sales. Then, being a bit of a PR person she listed all of my rare breeds beside the for sale box. In no time customers had doubled and the eggs were going for £1- 50 for six. (and I was making a tiny profit)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS