Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hatching shop eggs  (Read 3826 times)

compost

• Joined Jan 2008
hatching shop eggs
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:20:50 pm »
has anyone tried hatching shoppy eggs - i mean the likes of clarence court. Is it likely they are kept without a cockerel?
i have a broody hen and am wondering what to put under her! my own hens are a right hotch potch with a second generation hotch potch cockerel!

Cesca

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: hatching shop eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 07:38:31 am »
No - although I have heard stories in the press of the odd one hatching. I think it would be really hit or miss and probably miss.

A local breeder might be able to give you fertilised eggs - or you could try ebay. I've only bought eggs once but had a 60% hatch rate.

mojo

• Joined May 2008
  • glenay 79330 france
  • retired and married in north deux sevre FRANCE
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 10:08:38 am »
yes it has been done  se poultry keepers forum for detail..........but your best bet is to get eggs from someone local and whose  birds you have seen........the eggs will be fresher and the breed you like
retired to deep in rural france.keep 2 shih tzu dogs ( 1 boy 1 girl),1 cat(girl),lots of pure breed chickens(both sexes)....golden pheasants(both sexes) and the best wife a man could have

compost

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 08:12:39 pm »
well my broody made the decision for me and walked off leaving a load of cold eggs.

but next time i have a broody does anyone have any fertile eggs of known layer variety?

thanks

Cesca
Leicester area

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS