Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: orfe  (Read 19229 times)

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
Re: orfe
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 04:46:23 pm »
Our lambs had it last year, a mystery where it came from- somebody suggested thistles to us too. We put out salt licks and kept an eye on the ewes. It was unsightly, but disappeared after a couple of weeks and ewe was fine. I think it just has to run it's course, but I'm expecting it this year as apparently once you have it on your land it remains. Poor little lambies, but it only spoils their good looks for a little while. Do remember to wear gloves though to avoid catching it yourself.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 05:44:21 pm »
Alamycin type spray sorts it out

The medical profession disagree with you

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 05:47:30 pm »
3 of my pet lambs got it last year and one required antibiotics from the vet as became infected. You can spray with Terramycin or use Sudocrem. Unfortunately it is very catching and I caught it on my hand and had to visit the Doctor who was fascinated and gave me some antiviral tabs.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 06:53:12 pm »
There is a bacterial infection that has a very mild orfe-type effect (sorry, can't remember the name for now).  Two of our lambs had it a couple of years ago and a/b spray cleared it.  I caught orfe from the calving shed at a farming college but it didn't bother me (might have if it'd been on my face or hand rather than my arm, though).

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 07:18:25 pm »
Me

We were told last week by one of the vets at Liverpool vet school to use alamycin/Terramycin spray!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 07:24:37 pm »
Ok - it's a virus.. I am in the lucky position of having it on my hand at the moment!  :unwell:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 07:32:22 pm »
Ouch....I've been told its very painful

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 07:43:21 pm »
It is. But I'm a wimp! On the plus side I don't need to look in the mirror to see my reflection! Hand is round and shiney!

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 08:11:31 pm »
I only noticed the orfe yesterday, could have been there for days and I have been handling the ewes and stroking the one tameish lamb, (who is ok so far)  have been wearing sexy gloves since I noticed it and washing my mitts regularly, but assume I could have caught it already!!!  eeeeeek!!!!!    :o

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 10:18:30 pm »
We have treated with terrmycin spray for first time this year an it seems to dry it up nicely. Repeat 2 or 3 days later and sorted. Sorry vitnerries if this doesnt fit the science ;-)
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 11:19:19 pm »
Orf is a virus.

Antibiotics are effective against bacterial infections.

Orf is not a bacterial infection.

Sometimes, not in every lamb, there may be a secondary infection of the orf lesion.  The secondary infection may well be bacterial.

Orf will clear up on its own.

It will also clear up if you treat it with blue spray, purple spray or dunk the lambies' faces in a concentrated solution of Daz.

Like most sheepkeepers, I feel bad about doing nothing if the stock are clearly suffering - so we use either Daz and/or purple (antiseptic) spray.  Both seem to help prevent secondary infection.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 11:06:40 am »
But are your sheep whiter than white Sally?

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 11:35:15 am »
Orfe looks a lot like Herpes. If you catch it yourself, do you harbour the virus for life, like Herpes?
Is it time to retire yet?

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2015, 11:42:30 am »
Orfe looks a lot like Herpes. If you catch it yourself, do you harbour the virus for life, like Herpes?

Oh great!!!  Now I have Herpes to add to my list of problem!!!   :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2015, 11:44:27 am »
sorry Trish!!  Hopefully no relation to Herpes!  ;)
Is it time to retire yet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS