Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goats and raw eggs?  (Read 1743 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
goats and raw eggs?
« on: March 19, 2015, 09:35:31 pm »
our Daisy was lying in her house where a few of the chooks go in a lay.
Well, she was lying with her head on the nest, me being an eejit thought awww how sweet she's keeping them warm.
No, when I went in she raised her head with egg dripping down her chin!! She'd cracked one egg and was sooking out the yolk!
Never seen them doing this before, anyone else had this?
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: goats and raw eggs?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 10:36:52 pm »
Yep. Had a few turn round and look at me with a big smile and yolk all round their chops! Had ewes do the same. Thankfully most of my hens are now using the nest boxes provided.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 11:24:40 pm »
doesn't matter how many pretty straw filled nest boxes I make they lay anywhere else but in them, pig arks, goat sheds, under the shed, in the hay feeders...... :D
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 10:01:19 pm »
Mine did too but I got the new Solway hen house/ark (big one) and it has two external nest boxes. They seem to love those, I only have two hens now laying elsewhere and about 10-12 laying in boxes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS