Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Natural fencing  (Read 2561 times)

Holleth

• Joined Mar 2015
Natural fencing
« on: March 18, 2015, 09:51:49 pm »
Hi folks,

Just trying to learn some knowledge about different types of fencing...

I saw this recently and wondered what type of fencing this is and how you go about making it? Can the willow be bought in lengths ready for doing this with anywhere or should I try and grow it?

Cheers

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Natural fencing
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:28:02 pm »
Looks good doesn't it?
I'm growing willows but mine aren't anything like that long and straight, I'd love to be able to weave a fence like that, I think that must be a fast growing strain.
Gooogle 'Willow rods', comes up with quite a bit of info.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Natural fencing
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 10:14:19 am »
It's continuously woven willow hurdling. It's great for uneven ground as you can weave to fit the terrain rather than trying to get hurdle panels to fit. The rods for weaving can be purchased from places like Musgrove Willows - you want the hurdling willow not the fancy basket making ones as you want 6-7ft lengths. The uprights can be a range of different things. They need to be much thicker then the willow and you can use old scaffold poles, chestnut poles or any type of wood that doesn't rot. You sometimes see them made with hazel uprights but they won't last more than a couple of years. The uprights need to go into the ground a fair way so the  ends need to be sharpened to a point with a billhook. The weaving part is fairly simple.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS