Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: to heat or not?  (Read 2376 times)

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
to heat or not?
« on: February 01, 2010, 12:17:23 pm »
Hi we have 6 piglets now 9 days old and doing well, mum is taking good care of them.

When they were born it was unfortunately the coldest weather on record here for around 5 years so they have been inside with a heat lamp as we were worried we might lose them - the temperatures were -22 degrees C but have now come up to around zero during the day and no lower than -9 at night.

Would it be best if we start trying to move the heat lamp further away from them or leave be until they're a bit older? They have plenty of straw to snuggle in.
British Expat trying to live a better life in Bulgaria

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: to heat or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:44:09 pm »
Personally i'd start moving the heat lamp away;mum will generate a huge amount of heat;and if they are feeding well they will snuggle up and stay warm .Do you plan to put them outside? They do need to lose the lamp if that is your plan.

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 12:51:50 pm »
They will eventually go outside, as soon as we can get some work done on a larger pig house and pen - the current weather is keeping us indoors next to the wood burner!

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 03:28:57 pm »
Gradually move the lamp higher! I have a lamp on when my pigs farrow as I feel you don't have as big a risk of squashed piglets! I move it higher every day till the piglets are 2 weeks old then switch it off.

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 05:56:24 am »
Thanks for the advice, will start moving the lamp higher today in preparation for switching it off.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS