Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new to pigs  (Read 2009 times)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
new to pigs
« on: March 15, 2015, 01:28:08 pm »
Hi folks we are looking to get three weaners soon, either OSBs or Berkshires. Does anyone have any experience of these breeds please?

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: new to pigs
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 05:18:59 pm »
We are on our second lot of osb's. We have found them more docile and biddable than other breeds we have tried. The meat tastes great but be careful that they don't get too fat. Have fun!

Pigsmightfry

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Carlisle
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 07:08:24 pm »
We have had GOS, tamwoths and OSBs and OSBs are our favourite. All 3 breeds have had similar temperament, the GOS put on fat more easily than the others. Good luck.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 08:05:07 am »
We have had GOS, tamwoths and OSBs and OSBs are our favourite. All 3 breeds have had similar temperament, the GOS put on fat more easily than the others. Good luck.
Thats interesting because I found my OSB's put on fat more easily than the GOS
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:05:58 am »
I would say a general rule would be that GOS will put fat on more quickly than OSB, who are generally slower to finish. Tamworths will look lean but will be fatty.

I would also say with your first weaners you will make mistakes and the next time round you will get a better finished pig. You are aiming for a finished pig not a fat one.

Generally people start with two but there are merits in having three. You can send one before the other two and so you get some idea about booking the abattoir, what cuts of meat you want, etc.

If I'm asked what are the best pigs I would say that you will find what breed does well for you on your holding, that you enjoy keeping and eating. That's why we don't all keep the same breed.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 11:38:21 am »
Thanks for the advice folks :thumbsup:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 03:18:57 pm »
And when they turn out too fat don't blame it on the breed, you fed them too much!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS