Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CCTV in the goat shed  (Read 2093 times)

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
CCTV in the goat shed
« on: March 14, 2015, 07:34:21 pm »
When i decided to ventre into goats a friend mentioned being as the shed had electric, why dont you add some cctv cameras?
Could see advantages at kidding time ect,so out i went got some cameras and dvr and set it up.
Its a easy diy job things have improved over the last few years. Picture quality is great infra red lighting for night vision.

My sheds are 90+ metres away so i ran two lengths of cat5e network cable up to the shed each length has four pairs of wires so you can run up to four cameras from one length.
Even if you do not have electric in the shed you can run the power from the dc adapter down the cat5 cable.
Its payed dividends already with the kidding saves numerous hikes the 90 metres to the shed.
Gives youa good look at whats going off when your not looking.
And makes better viewing than some tv programs ive seen lol.
I would highly reccomend it to anyone its quite cheap if you shop around and money well spent imo.
Also it has the added security benifits.
Just wire everything well out of the goats reach
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 07:47:44 pm by mart6 »

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: CCTV in the goat shed
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 09:13:40 pm »
I wish you were closer! I've been trying to get cctv working for years. I have power and got a small Tenvis camera to work, then goats got hold of it and ate the cable! Haven't been able to get anything to work since. Got a cable running but slight access issues so unsure whether not working or damaged.

Must have too many sheds in line of sight to allow wifi to work. I only need it to work approx 30m away  :rant:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 09:25:13 pm »
If you have a cable running between your house and the goat shed you can run cameras using IP-over-mains. Works brilliantly here!

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 10:05:41 pm »
Not a fan of wifi its ok with clear line of sight ,no buildings obstructing but you still have probs losing conection at in opertune moments.
Its very easy to run a cable ( part on mine runs along the back side of a stock fence.)
Keep all cameras and wires in the shed around 6 feet well out of goats reach.
Shame im not closer i would give you a hand set it up np.
I am just expanding mine to 16 cameras overlooking fields as well now, imo they are a priceless bit of kit.
You can run cable lengths of 300 metres and still get pictures far more reliable than wifi
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:14:19 pm by mart6 »

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 09:54:07 pm »
My ex put a cable in but there is now a cabinet fixed to wall blocking access to the phone socket. It runs down the fence but unfortunately at field end it drops down within eating distance! I think I will need to cut a hole in cabinet to see if I can get to socket. I wish builders had thought about access when they hid it in the wall cavity. Grrr

Having an external socket put in end of the week with a length of armoured cable to end of garden. This will allow me to run outdoor camera checking paddock where sheep are.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS