Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ever elusive small livestock trailer!!  (Read 2378 times)

Pagan

• Joined Mar 2015
Ever elusive small livestock trailer!!
« on: March 10, 2015, 02:25:27 pm »
Hi all,

we've just moved up to bonny Perthshire from wet & windy Yorkshire and I'm looking for a small livestock trailer (something like the Ifor Williams P6 as I've only got a Diahtsu Terios to tow with!) so that I can transport 4 old ewes up here. Prefer to hire but if you've one for sale I could be interested (depends how much you want!!) Can anyone help? I have spent last few days trawling the web but can't seem to find one within a two and a half hour drive. :-)

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: Ever elusive small livestock trailer!!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 05:17:57 pm »
I would buy an olf Rice Europa horse trailer, unladen its a about 770kg. You should get one if you look hard enough for £5-600 and retro fit some gates.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:51:22 pm »
Can't help with trailer but welcome to scotland !
we are in Kinross-shire. What kinda sheep do you have Where are you going to and whats your plans

Pagan

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 02:45:15 pm »

Hi Big Light, we're at Path of Condie near Dunning, or at least we will be once we've got a weatherproof roof on the cottage! At present we're renting in Dunning. We only have a couple of acres and my two nags will take up most of that. I have black Wensleydales, used to breed em on  a small scale but just have four old ladies now. Kept em to keep grass sound, horses not being the best of grass managers! Good chance we'll get a couple of goats and definitely hens too. Hubby is a greenkeeper and I'm planning to convert an old byre into self catering accommodation for a bit of extra cash but you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men!!

Thanks for advice Honeyman although I think an old trailer might still be a bit heavy especially with four big fat girls in it! Will investigate.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:46:58 pm by Pagan »

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 04:38:26 pm »
Hi welcome to bonny Scotland, have you thought about hiring a van a tarp and some straw on the floar and Bob's your uncle, the purists will probably shake there heads but hay ho needs must.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 09:30:49 pm »
I've picked up sheep in a transit before. Come to think, people have picked up sheep from me in one. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your building work.

Pagan

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 01:08:37 pm »
Like the transit idea!! Thanks for that. Will have to find strong arms to help haul the beasties in - Wensleydales are not the smallest of sheep and I'm only 5'2, they're bigger than me !

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 01:26:45 pm »
im in fife and have an 8 x 4 braked trailer with a conversion kit to make it a stock trailer, its fully braked so requires an older license or trailer test to tow (can't remember details)

it holds 10 shetlands fine so 4 wenslydales should be fine in there (head room is only about 3ft 6inches if thats possibly an issue)

pm me on here if that might help i am always open to barter arrangements :-)

obviously it would be on a you bend it,  you fix it or buy it arrangement!

bloomer

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS