Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: And now I weave too! :D  (Read 4608 times)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: And now I weave too! :D
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 08:57:08 pm »
What make of loom do you have and how are you finding it.

Last months guild meeting was a skill share learning how to warp a rigid heddle loom.  I took along my old childhood 'Spear's' loom.  I've managed to make a scarf and now warped it to make some fabric for a bag I've been wanting to remake for ages but it's impossible to get an even tension on the warp and really difficult to wind it on without it all going wonky again.

I was quite happy NOT weaving until three weeks ago.   ::)
now I find myself looking up different makes of rigid heddle looms.
I really don't have time for another project.  I don't, I don't        if I keep saying it will I convince myself.

Think I'm doomed.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 09:37:24 pm »
You might as well give in now as wait til later.  :roflanim:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 07:57:06 am »
I have an Ashford rigid heddle. I must say its way easier to warp up than the 4 shaft loom that I have, especially as I am only a beginner.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 10:58:07 am »
Is there much difference between the different makes of rigid heddle?

They all look much the same and I expect everyone has their own favorites as with anything.

You might as well give in now as wait til later.  :roflanim:

yep, think I have.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 12:54:26 pm »
Mine is an Ashford 16" rigid heddle.  As Sally says, they are extremely simple and quick to warp up.

The other popular make seems to be the Kromski.  It has a kind of warping board underneath, which, if you want to use one, can save some money.

The Ashford Knitters' Looms and the Kromski Harp looms fold and come ready lacquered.

The Ashford Rigid Heddle does not fold and the wood is unfinished.  (And these looms are therefore cheaper.)

The Ashford looms all have notches under the rear supports, so you can use them on your lap with the end resting on a table. 

Some people love their Kromskis, but I have to say that I have seen several people (including my sister) buy and then sell Kromskis, and then buy and keep Ashfords ;).  So it would seem that the Kromski may be a bit Marmite, whereas most people seem to get on with the Ashfords.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 01:07:37 pm »
Thank you SitN.  think I'd better start saving. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS