Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: And now I weave too! :D  (Read 4607 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
And now I weave too! :D
« on: March 06, 2015, 04:59:17 pm »
I really wanted to get my loom up and running before lambing started, just so I had used my Christmas present before Easter as much as anything!

I've surprised myself how I've managed to find half an hour here and an hour there, but I got it assembled last week, warped it up at the weekend, and last night finished weaving the first whatever-they-are-going-to-be on it!  (I think it'll probably be a table mat, but in truth I'm not really sure at this point.)

I put about 7' or 8' of warp on, so I can have a good old play and experiment with different yarns and techniques on the one warp.

This is all cotton DK so far.  I've got some 50/50 cotton/wool I want to have a go with, and I think I probably won't resist doing some with some gorgeous Jamieson & Smiths 100% Shetland yarn I've got.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: And now I weave too! :D
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 05:20:05 pm »
Love it. The colours are gorgeous.  :thumbsup:
If I find time this evening I am going to do some warping up too. I intend to make a top out of some raw silk I bought in Hong Kong 19 years ago but am going to make the centre of the top a woven piece. I have no idea if its going to work so it should be interesting.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 05:23:38 pm »
Oh, that sounds fab, Sally!  Do take pics and share with us, won't you?!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 05:42:43 pm »
Beautiful!

I still haven't used my new loom (which is over a year old now!). It is still in "the room that has everything in" whilst my house is being renovated.  Renovation should be finished in the next couple of months though....

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 06:11:56 pm »
That looks fab. Never really fancied spinning or knitting but I do fancy weaving. Done it on the odd Saturday night in my youff  ;)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 07:07:03 pm »
Wow that's amazing! I dare not add a loom to the list ( although I do have dryad toy loom under the house which I could have a go on )

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 07:43:28 pm »
That looks really cool! I am trying to resist a loom, but my stash is getting out of control!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 08:36:43 pm »
Sally - I remember a while back when you told me you weren't interested in weaving, but I knew you'd get there in the end  :roflanim:  Well done - it's addictive isn't it  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 09:30:29 pm »
Sally - I remember a while back when you told me you weren't interested in weaving, but I knew you'd get there in the end  :roflanim:  Well done - it's addictive isn't it  :thumbsup:

Aye...   ;)

I think I knew I would get sucked in, just wanted to put it off while I developed some basic skills in spinning and knitting!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 11:38:04 pm »
I keep hearing about people taking up weaving. Makes me want to get on with some myself but to do that, I need to be able to get to my loom, which means sorting out my craft room, which means I can't get on with the spinning.

You see my problem?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 07:43:40 am »
That's lovely Sally  :love: whatever you make from it it really should be where all can see and admire it!

I'm still on the basics of spinning and knitting, no chance of weaving yet. Got a wicker chest full of rolags for when my knee is back to normal   :excited: (thanks to Santa leaving a surprise carder ). Oh and reading a book on felting but the thought of weaving tea towels or tablecloths is VERY appealing  :thinking:

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 08:37:57 pm »
Fantastic , you must be well pleased.

I'm trying so hard not to catch weaving. :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 10:06:49 pm »
Just give in, Madcat. You know you want to.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 09:42:09 am »
Fantastic , you must be well pleased.

I'm trying so hard not to catch weaving. :)

is what I was saying a year ago...  ;) :D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 11:49:19 am »
 :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS