Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Top tips for a happy lambing period  (Read 13659 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Top tips for a happy lambing period
« on: March 05, 2015, 06:31:58 pm »
As I am halfway through my lambing I had a little time today to reflect on what has gone well this lambing season and what can be improved on for next year.

So I thought that I would start a thread with a few of my top tips and encourage the rest of you to add your own top tips. So weather you have had to learn something the hard way or just got lucky, life or death or just light hearted, please share your secrets to a happy lambing period.

Here are my top ten!

1. Get organised - In the preceding weeks take the time to get on top of all those little jobs that need doing around the holding. You know, the dripping hose, the gate that needs a new hinge, the leaky chicken coop, the hook to hang the broom on, that outside light that needs fixing etc. You will be far too tired to tackle them between lambs and their bound to wind up needing urgent attention when you could do without it.

2. Plan ahead - make sure you buy any supplies, meds, feeds etc well in advance and make up the lambing shed a few weeks before you think your going to need it. Sheep have a habit of starting without you. Kit out your lambing shed in a flexible but systematic way that makes things easy and keep things tidy

3. Play to your strengths - organise your feeds, checks and chores around the best times for you. If this means getting the dog into a routine of going for a walk a little later or the ducks being put to bed a little earlier. Take sometime in the weeks before to introduce the new routine.

4. Get some sleep - cat nap, snooze or snore your socks off whenever or where ever you can. If you plodding about unable to think strait from fatigue then take a power nap. Even if you think your ewe is about to lamb. A 30 min snooze isn't going to affect anything much. You may even wake to find that she's done it all without you and if she does need your help, you will do a much better job if your relaxed and refreshed.

5. Stop staring - Sheep aren't lambing until they are lambing. A ewe who is panting, pacing, groaning and grinding her teeth can keep that up for days. So sitting on the edge of your seat in a drafty shed instead of snuggling in your bed is just going to wear you out well before the big event. When she is star gazing, straining, bleating, curling her upper lip back, laid on her side stretching out her legs or pacing round with a water bag hanging from her bottom.....Then shes lambing!

6. Focus on the positive - approach each lambing ewe with the expectation that she will lamb naturally herself without interference even if it takes her a while to do it. If the lambing is not straight forward see it as a learning curve and view every set back as temporary and every disappointment as an opportunity to readjust your expectations.

7.Phone a friend - Getting support and advice from the vet or an other breeder is not a failure it is a chance to get some valuable coaching from a highly skilled professional or an experienced shepherd.

8.Look after yourself - Lambing time takes it's toll. Sleepless nights, caring for sick sheep, learning the hard way, worrying about getting it right, not having the time or energy to shop or cook properly.Take some vitamins, order shopping on line and stock up with easy cook meals.

9.Take a break - lambing can be all consuming so put down the Smallholder catalog and the Tim Tyne books and do something to take your mind off the lambing shed. Pop to the shops, invite a friend round or watch a movie and give your brain a rest.

10. If all else fails, trust in your clever, friendly TAS pals to pull you through!

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Top tips for a happy lambing period
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 07:02:22 pm »
Fantastic Buffy - thank you for posting.

On several occasions I had to go for a sleep in the afternoon to recharge - good advice!

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 07:04:41 pm »
Buy in plenty of Gin?  :innocent:
Is it time to retire yet?

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 07:31:39 pm »
oh dear, I can only tick number 1 and number 10 on your list!!!

My top tip is have a reliable friend who is an ace lamber who will answer the phone at any time of day or night and talk you calmly through your major disaster in clear, understandable instructions, and in the event of you being totally useless and unable to carry out their instruction, be willing to drive 20 miles at way over the speed limit, and finish the job for you!!! 

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 07:41:11 pm »
Leave the ram in for only 19 days so you know the end is in sight ... right from the beginning.  Have a few baking sessions and stock up on really scrummy cakes ... everything looks better after a slice of cake.  Decide whether you're going to clean the hall floor after lambing ... or simply plant radishes in the layer of mud. 

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 08:13:44 pm »
infact I didn't do number 1 but I did do number 2  :innocent:

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 08:32:22 pm »
1. Patience
2. Sit on your hands
3. If you need to assist be gentle, take your time and use loads of lube.
4. Don't leave it too long to get more experienced help and don't put off calling out the vet if necessary.
5. Remember that 95% of ewes lamb unaided.
6. Enjoy it. Every lambing is a fantastic experience that you will never tire of seeing.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 09:56:58 pm »
The one tip from another thread I am REALLY going to heed this year is that they don't lamb in the middle of the night. Check them last thing and then at first light, but not in between unless they are well underway at the last check.  Ask me in a few weeks if I managed to do that!!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 10:04:15 pm »
Hmmm, don't think my girls follow that rule about not lambing at night. Think I need to have a chat with them about it as I had a 2am lambing last year and the previous year a 3am birth. Still, it's a lovely way to see dawn breaking.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 10:26:29 pm »
The one tip from another thread I am REALLY going to heed this year is that they don't lamb in the middle of the night. Check them last thing and then at first light, but not in between unless they are well underway at the last check.  Ask me in a few weeks if I managed to do that!!

Going to try to follow this this year. I checked mine last year before bed, once or twice in the night and first thing. and none of the night time ones were worth the loss of sleep. That being said, only a small number and recon when I wake in the wee hours I will sleep better if I get up and check, then go back to bed happy nothing is happening than if I lie there trying to tell myself for 45 minutes that nothing is happening and then getting up to check! Guess the gist is I'm not going to set an alarm but if I wake up, I'll get up. ::)

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 11:01:39 pm »
This year we only have 5 potentially pregnant ewes, so we have set up a large enclosure round a field shelter that we plan to use to contain them in overnight in a slightly smaller area than a whole field. OK, it's a lot smaller but will make the midnight, or whenever, check much easier and potentially save the animals being disturbed by crazy head torch wearing night time visitors. Ours seemed to prefer the just before dawn birth which is still a bit on the dark side too so again easier to find them.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 05:59:32 am »
Oow I'm loving all your tips and agree with them all! Old Shep, in respect of weather they lamb at night.... If believing that they wont helps you get a good nights sleep then hang on to that belief. You have to relax about it all at some point and reach a stage where you can get some perspective on it. Sounds like you have done that :thumbsup:

Many do lamb through the day or early eve and even if they do lamb at night, as ZakTL said the majority do it unaided. I do a bottle feed at 10 and unless a ewe is actually lambing by 10.30 I go off to bed. It takes a little to wind down so I stare at the lambing camera for a bit and unless they are actually giving birth I turn it off and go to sleep till my alarm at 4 for another feed. Some of mine have lambed at silly o'clock but most dont.

Even if one was straining at 10.30 if Im tired I would sleep for half an hour and check the camera again. A natural birth can take a number of hours before the ewe dilates enough to deliver the lamb so there is time for a nap. It would only be once the ewe was fully dilated that I would know if the lamb was mispresented and needed assisting or was suffering from ring womb and needed me to dilate her.

This site is a great resource but remember that most people post their problems, seeking advice so if you read lots of them you can freak yourself out with imagining that every TAS members lambing issues will befall your ewe.

Treud, I lamb indoors but I think your night pen is a brilliant idea for outdoor lambing. Before I had my camera I used to fold mine indoors on an evening for about a week before they were due. It's a huge help to have pens, light and shelter.

Trish.farm, could I have your friends number please? They sound lovely!

Marches farmer, I survive on chocolate minirolls. I can eat them in two bites and hold them in one hand. The wrapper means that I dont have to worry if my hands are clean. You do have to accept that you will put on a few pounds with this method though so thats another good reason to try and keep your lambing period short and sweet ( ha ha, see what I did there?[size=78%])[/size]

Keep em coming guys!  :excited:

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 08:22:12 am »
This thread is really use full, thanks guys!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 09:14:46 am »
Wonder if the lambing at night thing is an indoor/outdoor divide... Or breed specific? 15 ewes x 3 years outdoor lambing (not a huge sample, I know! ) and never had a night time lambing.... Untill I brought one indoors with staggers this year.

Echo all the great tips (not all of which do I feel I achieve- whatever I have in, I always seem to 'could do with...' Something else!) this year I was advised to have ewe boost, oxytocin, and sugar beet. And had to send hubby out for various tempting greens :-)

So far from what I had in I have used.... Gloves, lube (in the lambing kit gathering dust for 3 years) Lamb colostrum and lamlac, lamb kick start, calciject and twins lamb drench.

Biggest lesson so far is to keep positive - thought I would have to 'pet lamb' an unlicked lamb, but no.... And thought I was loosing a ewe and her twins at one point.... But no.  Fingers crossed for us all xxxx

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 10:05:00 am »
Mine start next weekend, so in weeks run up I'm going to have to get used to getting up at first light. (I don't do night checks)  Oh well, the dog will enjoy the early morning walk even if I don't! :)

Be patient. Try to stay relaxed. Eat well, keep hydrated. Like others have said stock up on quick cook meals and easy grab snacks, bottles of pop/water etc.  oh and chocolate of course :)

And remember cleanliness is next to godliness .. so keep all equipment and pens (and yourself) as clean as you can to minimise germs, even if its a tedious job it will be worth it in the long run.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS