Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from West Yorkshire  (Read 2767 times)

LornaC

• Joined Mar 2015
Hello from West Yorkshire
« on: March 05, 2015, 10:15:41 am »
Hello  :)

We are brand new to all things smallholder related. We took on a tenancy of a couple of acres of land last August and have spent most of the time sorting the land out so it suits our plans (it had been used for many years so needed a fair bit of work and new fencing).

We live in West Yorkshire and the land is a couple of miles away from our home (just close enough to walk if we really have to in bad weather!). The land is on the top of a hill but we have survived the first winter which was the real test and we are still interested!

So far we have 2 kune kune pigs (that have become pets  :-\:pig: and we hatched our own pure breed chickens in early autumn  :chook: Out of these we ended up with 10 hens that have just started laying and 12 cockerels that are in the freezer. We have added a futher 5 hybrid hens to this laying flock and will be adding 5 more soon. My son (8) has also just bought himself 6 bantams that haven't started laying as yet but should be soon.

We took deliver of 20 white farm ranger table birds yesterday (day olds) and these are at home under heat and will remain there until they are big enough to go to the land.

We are hoping to get a couple of Tamworth weaners at the end of the month and also get a few lambs.

At home we are creating a kitchen garden, which will be a challenge as we are pretty pants at gardening.

Both myself and hubby work. He works full time and I work school hours and half days during school hols.

We will need all the help & advice we can get!

Lorna  :)

K2

• Joined Feb 2015
Re: Hello from West Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 11:25:13 am »
 :wave: Hello LornaC.  I don't know about advice (not that I'm the one to give it) but you seem to be roaring along!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 01:11:35 pm »
 :wave: from Devon. Kunes should come with a warning ;)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 01:35:08 pm »
 :wave:  Hi Lorna from another WY TASer, dangerously near the Red Rose border  ;) .
Wel done for getting those cockerels inthe freezer, a difficult thing to do for many people, and don't worry about Kune Kune's being pets, as long as their offspring follow the cockerels  ;D 
My goats are pets, but their kids have to go in autumn, works well.
Do you have lots of cusstomers for the eggs or are you hatching /breeding?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 11:44:19 pm »
 :wave: from Shropshire.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 04:07:20 pm »
 :wave: from North Yorkshire! I used to live in West Yorks, where abouts are you?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 01:41:31 pm »
Hello from Whitby - North Yorkshire  :thumbsup:
Paul - The Mobile Butcher

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 04:30:32 pm »
Hi from John O Groats  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 06:26:04 pm »
Hi from Cumbria  :wave:

Looking forward to hearing more about your exploits  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS