Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on Spraying  (Read 4003 times)

RobJJ

• Joined Mar 2014
Advice on Spraying
« on: March 04, 2015, 07:58:11 am »
Hi All,
We have purchased 6.5 acres that we are currently in the process of clearing.

It has been untouched for 20+ years and was covered in Blackthorn, Brambles, nettles and moss.

We would like to initially turn it all into paddocks (We will be getting pigs but not just yet) and will have a small CL site on half an acre.

Once clear the weeds etc will start coming back and I will need to spray.

Due to cost (All spare money has gone on clearing) I may end up spraying the land myself (I know it will take time but needs must) and wanted to ask the advice on here as to what weed killer make, quantity etc is best to use that is readily available.

Thank you in advance

Rob

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: Advice on Spraying
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 08:48:46 am »
Have a look on,http://www.progreen.co.uk/?utm_source=Progreen+Newsletter+260215&utm_campaign=c14ebaa3ec-Newsletter_260215&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2b67f4da1d-c14ebaa3ec-82278253

RobJJ

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 09:38:11 am »
Thank you, I am waiting on one of there technical guys to call me back

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 12:00:06 pm »
My advice, for what it's worth, would be to think very carefully before you spray at all. Look carefully at the possible effects of chemical sprays.

RobJJ

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 01:26:12 pm »
Thank you, I am looking at the effects of chemicals, however I do need a quick turn around, I would love to put pigs on all the 6.5 acres, but just do not have the time at the moment.

Any other chemical free suggestions would be appreciated, ploughing is not an option due to the about of stumps etc

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 03:45:47 pm »
Grazon 90 in backpack or pastor from a boom. May be difficult to get hold of  without p a licence. Not sure where you are but may be able to point you towards an agronomist for advice if you need

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 09:43:39 pm »
...May be difficult to get hold of  without p a licence. ...
Its a good point devonlad.
From November this year 'Grandfather Rights' will cease and anyone who is wanting chemical will have to have the replacement certificate or upgrade to the PA1 + PA that is relevant to their situation.
(Grandfather Rights allowed anyone who was born on or before 31 Dec 1964 to apply chemicals without a certificate providing it was for their own use and on their own land.)

Distributors of chemical will have to ensure that the chemical is going to a business where there is a certified operator - this may mean the showing of spray certificates.  So it means that for folk who picked up grassland products or glyphosate from a local agri suppliers will not be able to do that from November this year unless they have a PA certificate.

This topic was covered this winter in the NRoSO courses for sprayer operators.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 09:33:35 am »
If the intention is to paddock the area and put pigs on it why spend money and effort on spraying/ clearing when the pigs themselves will do this for you free of charge ?

RobJJ

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 01:07:11 pm »
Just to give an update, lots of advice from friendly farmers in the area, but basically we are going to cultivate for the summer and seed in the autumn. That way I can get the pig area fenced earlier than planned.

Most said no point in spraying.

All the land is now clear, just got to start cultivating (Once it get a little dryer)

Cost of getting someone in to do it wasn't much, but it was a price of an old tractor that I had my eye one, so I bought that with a cultivator  :excited:

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS