Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: building for horses and sheep. planners and valuation officers?  (Read 2283 times)

smallholder100

• Joined Mar 2015
I have a small holding of 7 acres. 6 acre field and 1 acre woodland.
I would like to build some sort of livestock building to shelter the livestock from the harsh winter conditions.

the planners suggested by letter that I site the building in front of my house away from neibours and footpaths /lane.

I would like to have some sheep in it and rent other parts of it for people to keep horses as a supplementary income.

the planners want near £400 for an application as they said it is for horses, and not agricultural and now I am worried about the council tax or non domestic rates that I might adopt from building it.

currently the land has no shelter for the sheep or horses and I am unsure what to do and how best to go about it given the stories I have seen on the forums about valuation offices and when or if the small business rate relief scheme will run out this march.

I can only see one place to site the building and that is 30 metres away from the curtilage of my domestic property which is on site.

anyone been through a similar situation?

Tamsjute

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: building for horses and sheep. planners and valuation officers?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 08:00:34 pm »
Just making similar findings myself!
Wanted 3 stables and storage, which would be used for sheep and storage also, now thinking of switching to something like a shed with an area suitable for my ponies, who don't like to be in anyway and would just be in when weather is really bad or if they're on box rest.
Let me know what you decided

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: building for horses and sheep. planners and valuation officers?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 08:44:01 pm »
Have a look at Tamsjute's thread on the same matter.

Personally, I'd avoid having livery like the plague. :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS