Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Culling a 5 year old boar  (Read 2032 times)

littleacorn

• Joined Jan 2011
Culling a 5 year old boar
« on: March 03, 2015, 09:25:43 am »
I would appreciate your advice please.  We have a lovely GOS boar who last year started having trouble with his back legs - possibly an injury to his back..   He has been fine - eating and drinking and has been in with a sow and she is (I'm pretty confident) in pig, but is now struggling to keep his back legs upright and has started eating his food sat down so I feel it is time for him to go.  My question is how?  Presumably he is too old for any form of meat/sausages so should it be the vet and the knacker man?  Thanks.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Culling a 5 year old boar
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 09:31:49 am »
I personally would be inclined to go with the knackerman - an experienced one will despatch him quickly and cleanly.  Ask local farmers for recommendations.  However laid back he's been and however reluctant to rise at present the adrenalin caused by stress will make the boar quick and powerful, so be careful.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 11:12:42 am »
I was asked to PTS an old boar once, it was not fun. I wanted to shoot him but the owner refused and wanted him euthenased with a needle. Best for everyone if he is shot, knackermen do this most often so are the best choice probably.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 11:30:35 am »
Id still make sausages regardless of age. The problem is getting him to the abattoir as hes off his legs !!! ????

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 11:35:47 am »
We had a boar that went off his back legs. The knacker service came and he was shot. Very quick and not that expensive.

littleacorn

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 04:57:55 pm »
Thanks for your replies.  Knackerman came and the boar has gone, quickly and without really knowing anything about it.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 08:20:36 pm »
 :hug: :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS