Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raspberries?  (Read 2194 times)

moomaa

• Joined Feb 2015
    • VARI Machines
Raspberries?
« on: March 03, 2015, 08:56:37 am »
I've had an idea
I want to plant several rows of raspberries in a small enclosure and when the crop is over open the gate and let the goats do the 'pruning'. Has anyone tried this?

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: Raspberries?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 11:19:40 pm »
They'll love you but you probably won't have anything left, but then I guess you do prune right down when all said and done !!
You would have to be careful they didn't pull them out in their eagerness as they're not very deep rooted :excited:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 01:37:02 am »
Are you meaning autumn raspberries? They are cut down to the ground after fruiting, with the normal summer fruiting type there is the next years' growth coming up while they are fruiting, so you would lose that. Then there are supports and wire to remove?
I think it would be easier to just cut them down and throw them over to the goats.
Come to think of it, maybe not a good idea, dried rasperry leaves are given to goats to help with kidding, something I read somewhere discouraged me from feeding to much raspberry foliage, can't remember but I'll try and find it later.
Mine don't like it anyway :-)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 06:12:35 am »
Raspberry leaves stimulate the uterus which is good in labour but not before!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 06:44:36 am »
I would never give my goats "free reign" on anything - yes they get branches but thrown over the fence, but I am in control of how much they eat of anything. Giving them the idea that they can go somewhere and eat, just means trouble....

PS.: by the time the autumn rasps need pruning most of the leaves are gone.... and my goats are in early pregnancy, so no raspberry leaf tea. Should be ok with summer ones, but I do not have any in my fruit cage.

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 12:28:44 pm »
I grew both summer and autumn fruiting raspberries.  Just cut out the summer fruiting canes once you have picked all the fruit and leave the new shoots for next year.  With the autumn ones just cut right back when finished.  If you 'cut and throw' you will control what they get and the fresh supply will last a bit longer.  They also like the canes to munch on if there is no leaves. 

moomaa

• Joined Feb 2015
    • VARI Machines
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 01:35:38 pm »
Thanks everyone, very helpful. Yes think you are right, perhaps I ought to control what they have.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 10:39:07 pm »
Raspberry leaves stimulate the uterus which is good in labour but not before!!

In humans it is reputed to give an easier birth if taken for a few weeks beforehand. I took raspberry leaf tea during the last three months of one pregnancy  and a shot of pethidine knocked me out. I woke just in time to deliver him. Unfortunately, the next time I couldn't take it because it made me sick.

I would imagine it had the same effect on goats.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS