Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4156 times)

K2

• Joined Feb 2015
Hello
« on: March 02, 2015, 05:35:06 pm »
My lovely wife, aka Kimbo, is already on the forum so I won't repeat everything she has already said.  To be honest, I wouldn't presume to call myself a smallholder quite yet.  As Kim has explained, we've moved into a tiny converted barn with grazing so that we could have our horses, Boris and Milo, on our own land.  Anglezarke (an old Norse name meaning "By Odin, it's cold here") is only a mile east of the M61 but there is fantastic riding on the doorstep.  That was really all we had thought about.  One thing is, however, leading to another: the chickens arrived a few weeks ago and then, because we have too much land for two horses, sheep are due to take up residence. 

By and large, Kim is animals and I'm fruit, veg, fencing, hedging, groundworks, drainage, buildings. land management and tractor maintenance.  Of course, we help each other out and so I get regularly de-loused in the chicken run. 

We've planted 100 poplar and willow cuttings on the eastern boundary within a little certified camping/caravanning site.  None of the land had been cultivated.  It's on the heavy side with clay beneath quite a decent depth of top soil. The site we've chosen for fruit and veg slopes a little to the west but is very exposed to wind so I'm not sure how things will do.

Here is my first mistake.  I'd thought about buying fruit trees and bushes from the local garden centre (which I hadn't at that time visited) but opted for one of the well-known mail order companies. The plants that came were tiny, bordering on the microscopic, and significantly more expensive than the same varieties at the garden centre which have, so far, done much better despite incessant rain.  I won't get caught like that again.

Anyway, I look forward to chatting and picking up some tips.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:06:54 pm »
Hello K2,
I do hope that people quickly come to understand your unique sense of humour  :fc:
Is it time to retire yet?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 07:14:40 pm »
I'm sure we will Kimbo  ;D

K2 - you might in fact find that your tiny fruit trees do better in the long run, provided you protect them with spirals and keep them weed free at the base.  We certainly found that with hedging.  It's probably that when they are tiny they have less top growth to support so can get their roots properly into the earth, and well spread out.

I don't do horsey stuff, but look forward to seeing how you get on in the veggie and fruit sections  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

K2

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 07:33:09 pm »
Thank you, Fleecewife.  I shall report on progress but I am preparing myself emotionally for the demise of the mail order gooseberry.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 07:40:07 pm »
You sound like my other half :) although he only does potatoes I am in charge of the rest of the veg. We are at the start of our journey as well and moved in 3 months ago. Busy planning out my veg patch at the moment. Good luck with yours
________
Caroline

K2

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 07:45:46 pm »
Thanks, Caroline 1; hope it all goes well for you. Cambs must be a pretty good place for growing veg.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 07:48:31 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

I think I'm going to enjoy your contribution  ;D

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 09:00:02 pm »
Hopefully this new patch will be as good as my last garden. It appears to be quite dark peat where I am. Having a couple of bee hives means I normally get bumber crops so hope they like it in a bit more of an exposed location.
________
Caroline

K2

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 10:23:30 pm »
Thanks, Rosemary.  What a great forum!  Bee hives, eh?  I'm not sure what Boris and Milo would think about that.

B3a5tie

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 01:24:35 pm »
 :wave: Hello and Welcome from Bodmin Moor K2. We are new to lambs but have had pigs and chickens for a few years now and grow most of our own fruit and veg so might be able to help on that front!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 02:11:26 pm »
HI K2 from over the border in Yorks.
I've been disappointed with mail order stuff as well, some has been OK though, I think I prefer t see before I buy.
Hope they come round OK. spring is nearly here, things should look better then. Did you repot your gooseberry?

K2

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 04:55:25 pm »
Hi B3a5tie and penninehillbilly,

Thanks for the welcome; what a nice forum this is!  I may well pick your brains, B3a5tie, if my fruit and veg don't behave.  The gooseberry came bare-rooted so it went into the ground.  I bought a rhubarb from the same source, Ken Muir, and it is absolutely miniscule.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 05:01:29 pm »
Maybe its a new miniature variety  :-J
Is it time to retire yet?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 05:06:13 pm »
Bought rhubarb is always tiny when you buy it and takes a couple of years to get going.  Shame - I've got masses I could give you, and it's the perfect time to divide the plants.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 11:21:43 pm »
 :wave: from Shropshire.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS