Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First Time growing veg this year!  (Read 3425 times)

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
First Time growing veg this year!
« on: March 02, 2015, 11:09:59 am »
I've grown a couple of plants before but nothing seriously.

I set up four raised beds early in 2014 they are 15' x 4' but I was just too busy last year so other than weed them I never got anything planted at all.

i filled them will all sorts of rotting vegetation, grass, compost, manure from the chickens, turkeys, quail and rabbits etc and they've been sitting like that for almost a year now.

Last weekend I spread the old compost heap over them and added a couple of inches of commercial compost on top so fingers crossed we're good to go!  :thumbsup:

I dug down into a couple of the beds and they are moving with worms so I assume thats a good sign.

Onions, carrots, parsnips, celery, lettuce, beetroot, turnip, swede, spring onion and radishes are sprouting now and I have a load of potatoes ready to go in  as soon as the weather turns

2nd March and still snowing here!

Roll on the sunshine!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: First Time growing veg this year!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 11:13:01 am »
I'm slightly confused here... you've got carrots germinating outside in the snow or you trying to grow them from modules?

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 11:29:49 am »
No they are all inside still

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 01:43:49 pm »
It's unusual to sow root veggies and transplant seedlings .. not impossible but usually unnecessary. Those sown outside will likely catch up and overtake anyway 'specially if you warm the land up first with a cloch or plastic. Greenhouses good for really early stuff - I sow chard, radish, spring onions and courgettes in there for crops before the outside is warm enough and rip them out when the toms, peppers etc are taking over.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 03:53:02 pm »
I'm probably just too keen, just felt I had to do something  ;D

I was hoping to have had them outside by now but we keep getting snow and frost!

I've not got a huge amount to plant out, i'm going to try and stagger it a bit so i get a fairly steady supply of everything rather than a boom and bust.

So usually you'd recommend just waiting till the weather improves and plant carrots and other root veg directly in the soil?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 04:21:22 pm »
You could grow carrots in deep pots indoors or in a greenhouse to get an early crop.. but it's usualy a long season crop anyway.. eat the thinnings in salads, watch them get bigger and maincrop carrots and parsnips I leave in the ground rather than trying to store them.. still digging them up as i need right now from last years sowings.. so I've got carrots and parsnips before you anyway  :) .

Coem spring and summer I'l be wanting a change.. salad stuff: baby leaf to start then lettuce as they get bigger then the broad beans'll be ready before french beans, peas, climbing , runners...and my rhubabrb is already coming up then berries....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 07:30:20 pm »
<<< Onions, carrots, parsnips, celery, lettuce, beetroot, turnip, swede, spring onion and radishes are sprouting now and I have a load of potatoes ready to go in  as soon as the weather turns

2nd March and still snowing here! >>>

Yes it's pelting with snow here too, but not too cold.

The onions, celery, lettuce, beetroot and spring onions will be fine started off that way.  In fact I start off several batches of beetroot in modules, with about 3 seeds per small module.  Once they have a few true leaves I plant them outside, with protection mainly from nibbling.  They grow in small clumps, but still develop big roots, just space them further apart.
Starting radishes in small pots or trays won't work well, but if they're only just coming through you can prick them out into deeper pots, about 1-2" apart in the pots.  They are frost tender though.  The same technique might work for the carrots and parsnips if they only have their seed leaves, but as pgkevet says, they prefer to be sown where they are to grow.
Prick out the swedes and turnips now, the swedes into at least 3" pots and get them outside as soon as you can, but they are usually sown in May, otherwise they may go to seed.

I so understand your excitement to get stuff in the ground.  Don't worry - we hardened gardeners get carried away too.  Don't worry if all or some of this lot fail - seed isn't expensive, just keep that enthusiasm going  :garden:
Celery is best started off in modules, so you're fine there, potting up into 3" pots then planting them out after the frosts.
Onions are fine started off in modules if they're sets, or in deep modules (leeks too) if seeds and the roots can get quite crowded without setting them back.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:12:44 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 09:16:08 am »
Cheers folks  :thumbsup:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 11:21:55 pm »
I'm probably just too keen, just felt I had to do something  ;D

I was hoping to have had them outside by now but we keep getting snow and frost!

I've not got a huge amount to plant out, i'm going to try and stagger it a bit so i get a fairly steady supply of everything rather than a boom and bust.

So usually you'd recommend just waiting till the weather improves and plant carrots and other root veg directly in the soil?

Ha ha .... like it , " Cabin fever strikes & you just have to do something for the garden " .

You'll need to think about about crop rotations , not just for pest control but also for the nutrients available to plants. There are three basic rotations,  a three year, a five year & a seven year rotation which has one bed lying fallow for a year.

Most root crops especially carrots & parsnips  will, grow multiple roots close to the crown / top end  if sown in  fairly newly manured ground  , even if the manure has been hot composted .  Even four year old composted stable muck is " too hot"

Pure rabbit droppings,  well turned & watered in the beds seem to be OK however

It's best to put nutrient/nitrogen  greedy potatoes & salad stuff in fresh manured ground. The potato foliage helps stunt any emerging weeds that were not killed off in the composting 
 Followed a year later in this now un manured bed by the greens ,  beans , onions celery and leeks .

Then in the third year in the unimproved bed sow your other root crops .

If you can afford it try and get , " The vegetable expert", by DG Hessayan ,from Amazon as a new or as a second hand book ..it will help you no end in your veg gardening .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 11:45:54 am »
Cheers  :thumbsup:

Still not got anything in the ground yet but the seeds are coming through now  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS