Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Supplementary feed/companion animal  (Read 2812 times)

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
Supplementary feed/companion animal
« on: March 02, 2015, 10:36:10 am »
Ok I have two questions - Does anyone give their cows a small seaweed based mineral lick, that doesn't weigh 25kgs and cost the earth? I'm struggling to find something thats not meant for large herd numbers in the dairy or beef industry. I've previously used a lick that was made here in Shetland but the manufacturer has closed down. I've come across Rockies and wondering if its any good? I'd rather have something seaweed based.

Also has anyone successfully used a sheep as a companion for a heifer? Trying to find a solution for when her byre mate goes to the abattoir later in the year. We don't have the housing/grazing for another adult cow otherwise we'd have had two.  We have a 3 year old caddy lamb which has never managed to produce a lamb herself. The idea is that when old enough the heifer will get bulled and then have her own calf for company, until then I wondered if a peaceable friendly sheep might work?

Any thoughts appreciated. I've had to reregister under a different name and email address as I wasn't recognised.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Supplementary feed/companion animal
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 01:43:26 pm »
I expect a sheep is better than nothing, although personally I've never heard of cross-species companionship for a cow.  Horses yes (goats or sheep), sheep yes (anything will do!), chickens yes! (my only chook bonded with the sheep until we replaced her flockmates when a local dog got them) - but not cows.  I guess it can't hurt to try.

However, the animal welfare guidelines are that all cattle should have bovine company of their own age, so I am afraid that even having one cow with her own calf isn't really ideal.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 07:55:36 pm »
I use Red Rockies in the summer and a molassed lick - Harbro Forage Booster - in winter with a Precalver from six weeks before calving. You can't use Red Rockies with sheep though because it has copper in it. I guess the Precalver will too. None of them go off and the cows just help themselves.

I have to agree with Sally. We had a heifer calve unexpectedly four weeks ago; we put her and the calf seperate but she was pretty stressed - remember, she had her calf to protect with no herd to help. We put another cow out with her and things improved immensely.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 08:26:27 pm »
Depends where you are but mole valley farmers have Calseablocs a range of mineeraal blocks based on calseagrit a naturally occurring sea based compound. 15 kg blocks. You can read about them on mole valley farmers website

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 07:53:45 am »
I can't help with the mineral block, though maybe if you have access to seaweed you could put a bit of that out? But, here is a story (and perhaps a preview of an animation film, Babe and the Bullock) Babe, one of our Kunekune sows and Sydney, one of my neighbour's bullocks became very attached to each other. Babe would take the gates off their hinges to seek him out. I thought at first that she was looking for the boar but it became clear that Sydney was her intention.
Having sorted the gates the bullock came looking for Babe. He would break through the hedge and set off at a gallop, hurdling stock fencing like a champion race horse. Once together they would settle down to graze and lie back to back contentedly.
The bullock went to market, Babe moped for a few days but seems to have got over her broken heart.
So, this, I know is a one off but animals do find friendship in the oddest ways.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS