Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slaughter weights  (Read 1135 times)

Loumackley

• Joined Oct 2014
Slaughter weights
« on: March 02, 2015, 08:26:19 am »
Hi, I'm new to the forum... With 32 hens and 2 pigs and a beehive near Taunton, as well as turkeys for Christmas.
I'm looking at slaughtering the pigs in 3 wks time when they will be 6 m 10 days old, dictated by Easter closures, being away in April and struggling now with very muddy ground  (OSB x  Berkshire) I've been feeding 4lb daily since 4 mths old and they are a lot bigger than their one remaining sibling I still have contact with. I've not tried measuring them since we had to worm them when it was not so daunting ! Bit of advice needed on freezer capacity needed for the average pig and how much time needed for prep for freezer, sausage making etc after they come back butchered., which I anticipate will need making into smaller manageable cuts (there's 2 of us )

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Slaughter weights
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 01:45:33 pm »
Welcome to the forum  :wave:

You'll do better to post the slaughter-related questions in Pigs - not everyone reads the Intros ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 11:23:29 pm »
 :wave: from Shropshire.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 03:31:48 am »
And  :wave: from Devon

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS