Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Posting photos  (Read 1993 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Posting photos
« on: February 28, 2015, 11:04:21 pm »
I keep trying to post photos and get messages saying they are too large. i have put them on Photobucket and changed the size but just how small do they have to be? I know it comes up with a size but can someone put that into length and breadth for me please?

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Posting photos
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 06:42:02 am »
Sorry can't help, I'm useless and need to get one of the children to help me!
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 09:21:34 am »
The files need to be 512kb or less, and the total of all the (up to 4) pics in one post no more than 1024kb.

You can look at the files in your Windows Explorer and see the size in kilobytes there.

It's not only about size length and breadth but also about resolution, so cropping will help but you probably will also need to reduce the resolution.

I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager, Edit => Compress => for the Web.  Seems to work, the files come up usually less than 100kb.

I don't use Photobucket so can't advise on how to do it there, sorry. 

There is another way of doing it described in the topic on Forum Tips linky.  I've never tried the resizer myself but others seem to use it successfully.

Good luck!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 10:52:44 am »
If you're using photobucket, don't bother attaching the files to the message, just link to them.

There are various ways to do that, but this is the most foolproof IMHO:

• Open Photobucket in a new tab on your browser and find the pic you want. Click on it, so it's the only one showing
  • Then, at the top right hand corner of the screen, do you see where it says "Share links?". Underneath that, it says "Direct", and gives a link to the file.
  • Click on that text, and it should say "Copied".
  • Then go back to your forum post and click "Insert Image". It's the icon on the left under Bold text.
  • This brings up a popup that says "Enter image location". Delete the http that's already in that box, and press ctrl+V to paste the photobucket info.
  • Click "OK", and your image should appear in your forum post.
Like so:

Note how the photo appears inline with the text, and is not an attachment to the message.

BTW, if the image doesn't appear, ensure your photobucket album is marked "public access".  If you have other private pics on photobucket too, the easiest way is to have only one public folder called forum pics or similar, then only make that folder (album) private.

Hope that helps!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 12:04:08 pm »
Ohh.. now I am going to have to have a look into Photobucket...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS