Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I know this is a stupid question  (Read 2525 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
I know this is a stupid question
« on: February 28, 2015, 02:42:20 pm »
I have seen some of you use old fridges/freezers to put your curing meats in, usually in an outhouse. Are the appliances plugged in or do you just use them as a safe storage place.

I offered an integrated fridge/freezer on freecycle and OH said no one would want it but a man came to collect it this morning and said he would be using it for curing pork for a pig he had just slaughtered. I never thought to ask him if he would be plugging it in.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Re: I know this is a stupid question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 05:05:43 pm »
It depends.....!
If you want to go all technical you can get a temperature probe, humidifer, humidity meter, fan to create a modicom of control over the conditions inside the fridge. If you just turned it on, lowest (ie warmest) setting then it will still be a bit chilly for ideal curing conditions. However you can mess around with switches and readings so that the fridge turns on, then gets switched off when too cold, allowed to warm up a tad, also the fan and humidifier can switch on and off etc etc.
Alternatively you can just leave it off and just take advantage of the more controlled box.
So, your call really  :excited:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 05:13:25 pm »
Thanks Sudanpan
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 11:49:18 am »
Good question, I have a fridge freezer I was planning to sell as didn't think I needed it, but now thinking I will keep hold of it as a safe curing space.
________
Caroline

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 12:52:34 pm »
The other thing I've seen done in a disused freezer is culture yoghurt.  A lightbulb inside the lid creates plenty of heat to cook yoghurt ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS