Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: emal2  (Read 3197 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
emal2
« on: February 27, 2015, 12:16:41 pm »
Ok, how on earth do I mark an animal as dead on this thing? We only had two weaners and I put them in the freezer last week. Been through the FAQs can't see it there. Helpline is engaged (left message)

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
Re: emal2
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:00:05 pm »
You dont need to, just mark it down on your annual inventory how many you have left at the end of the year :)

I have a book in which I write the dates of things like that down, and staple in the receipt from the abattoir, then you can always show this to DEFRA etc if needed
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 01:04:34 pm »
Really? Ok thank you that is far simpler than I ever imagined  :thumbsup:

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 03:16:07 pm »
Thats assuming you did a farm to slaughter movement or are registered for home kills :)
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 10:45:16 pm »
Eaml2 is for reporting movements of pigs. So, if they went to a slaughterhouse they are already in the system as dead.

Interesting scenario though if you do home slaughter because you are correct, there is nowhere officially to record that, so you would look from your movement records as though you still have two pigs.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 12:04:08 am »
You are legally obliged to record movements on and off your holding of live animals.

Apart from that there is no requirement to account for animals born or dying (or being killed!) on your holding.

However there is a requirement to record once a year (on a date which you choose) the maximum number of pigs that have been on your holding in the previous 12 months.  Defra cannot say why this rule exists, and it is totally pointless, but they won't take it out of the legislation without being given a good reason to (they tell me that being pointless is not a good reason!) so it will continue, so much for red tape reduction.

So that's all you need.

So if anything is born or dies (or indeed you kill for home consumption) then this is not a legal requirement to record this.  However you are not permitted to bury animals or parts thereof on your holding.

If animals dies and you use fallen stock, then they will give you some paperwork, which in the event that an inspector who does not know the law asks, you could wave at them, but this is not needed.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 08:37:06 am »
Ok, so killing the pigs myself with a free bullet, for my own consumption, on my premises, disposing of remains at the approved fallen stock burner - I am legal

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 08:39:37 am »
I keep a paper record of all my movements with a running total and if I have a death I record it in there just so if the trading standards come round I can tally the number of pigs I've actually got with the movement records.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 11:06:35 am »
I keep a paper record of all my movements with a running total and if I have a death I record it in there just so if the trading standards come round I can tally the number of pigs I've actually got with the movement records.
Me too.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 07:19:00 pm »
Ok, so killing the pigs myself with a free bullet, for my own consumption, on my premises, disposing of remains at the approved fallen stock burner - I am legal

Yep !  see http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/guidancenotes/meatregsguid/home-slaughter-livestock
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 07:25:45 pm »
Good 'cause its too late now  :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS