Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Never rains but it pours.  (Read 4012 times)

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Never rains but it pours.
« on: February 26, 2015, 10:57:56 pm »
Seems to be one thing after the other at the moment. :raining:

My pseudo-pregnant, then actually pregnant, now miscarried goat seems well on the mend but now my littlest, sweetest and cuddly goat is really poorly.   She seemed a bit off colour this morning, not interested in treats and brought up some liquidy cud which split from her mouth but otherwise bright as usual. Had to go into work in the morning but thankfully free in the afternoon so back at lunchtime. By the time I got home at 13.30 she couldn't stand or walk and was just trembling. Wouldn't eat or drink. To be honest thought she was dying at this point. Vet and I think she has eaten something she shouldn't have. She and the rest had a brief escape last night but really only minutes and no idea what it could be. Not really anything obviously toxic here. She munched a bit of bay but that's not toxic. Other possibility is an intestinal infection.
She seems a bit more stable now and has started drinking but still seems very poorly. Not much else I can do at the moment. She has had painkillers and antibiotics and drench to absorb toxins, balance rumen pH and a probiotic so just have to wait and see.

Sorry for the burble, just needed to tell someone who understands. Feeling a bit wobbly and like a very bad goat keeper. She's normally such an irrepressible character it is quite upsetting seeing her so ill.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Never rains but it pours.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 11:05:46 pm »
 :fc: that she's better in the morning.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 11:16:38 pm »
Thanks. :fc:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 12:41:48 am »
We all have our 'I'm such a bad goat-keeper' moments so you are not alone.  :hug:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 02:59:35 am »
Hope she gets better soon

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 06:59:35 am »
Hope she's feeling better this morning  :hug: :hug:

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 04:29:03 pm »
Thanks guys.

Well she was much the same overnight and in the morning. Couldn't get up herself but if put on her feet she could stand but not walk. Would drink if put in her mouth but not interested otherwise.
She seems better this afternoon and has stood and walked for herself and much steadier now than initially. Has even drunk without being bullied into it although still won't eat. Grinding her teeth much less than last night as well so definitely seems to be going in the right direction at the moment.

Would feel a lot better if she would eat something, not natural a goat that won't eat!

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 08:56:38 pm »
Maybe a bit of fruity probiotic yogurt if you think its tummy upset. I will also put honey/molassas on my fingers nd shove them in their mouths, gives energy nd minerals.
Nothing as upsetting as a poorly goaty. :hug:
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 09:10:28 pm »
You haven't got anything like rhododendron around ?? Sounds like poisoning. Hope she recovered OK. I had one, ate the tips off three leaves and projectile vomitited, not a happy goat but did come right. Another managed to reach some privet over our boundary and she wasn't so lucky. Try some ivy minus berries of course, always found that helped.  :fc: :hug:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 09:19:09 pm »
Hope she is going to be ok
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 09:46:07 pm »
Thanks all, trying all the suggestions.

She's getting loads of probiotics, the vet prescribed "prorumen" which is basically that with minerals and vitamins.  Really scratching my head as to what she could have got hold of.
Not much round here toxic. Initially thought it might have been my bay tree as there was some of the leaves in the stuff she brought up but it is definitely non-toxic. No privet, rhododendrons, yew. We do have some snowberry shrubs but only the berries are poisonous and there aren't any at the moment and a shrub at the front which i don't think they have had access to and I have no idea about.
Ivy sounds like a great idea, she loves it and might tempt her appetite, will give honey a go too.

She does seem to be picking up a bit. She got up to come over to me just for cuddles which is so like her and so nice to see again. She did show some interest in the new hay tonight. She carefully picked over it to find acceptable strands but did reject all of it but an improvement in just  turing away as if I was offering rancid swill!

The silver lining is that last autumn I bought them coats as we had been predicted -15C temps that never happened and their coats have still been in their packing. Put hers on her when she was trembling and seemed to help so at least they have come in handy rather than being a complete waste of money!

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 03:01:02 pm »
She has finally started eating again!  :excited:
Picking at bits of hay, still not interested in anything else, including treats surprisingly but guess hay is the best for her. She still seems pretty dejected but definitely improving! :excited:

I also think I have found the culprit. Noticed one of the plants in tubs at the back of the house had been nibbled. It is something left by the previous owners but an internet search seems to identify it as Pieris Japonica which is toxic in much the same way as laurel and rhododendron. It is now very firmly in the bin!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 03:17:00 pm »
Good news that she seems to have turner a corner and also very good news that you have found the culprit.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 08:38:11 pm »
Brill news!!So glad for you! :excited:
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 07:17:20 pm »
So glad she is improving and thad you were lucky in that she only had a nibble, you can see what could have happened had she eaten more, glad its been disposed of !!
Hope that the rest of the year goes we'll for you :excited: :goat:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS