Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Update* help, ewe just lost both lambs.  (Read 11136 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: help, ewe just lost both lambs.
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 11:10:21 am »
Snowy river I wasn't having a go at you! Jeeeez.. have one of these too  :bouquet:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 11:14:37 am »
snowyriver, I hope you don't stop posting.

I've found it best to just accept that other people have other opinions and a right to express them.  Over time, I expect that each of us is able to calibrate the advice we're being given by various people ;)

I sometimes have to get up and walk away to stop myself responding to what seems like a dig, or someone repeating something I've already said as though it's a new insight only they have seen, or someone countering something I've written.  I try to make myself not post unless I am adding new information, or telling a funny story.  (Well I think they're funny.  lol)  (And no, I know I am not always successful in only posting if I am adding new information.  But I do try!   :D)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

snowyriver

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 11:19:04 am »
We were a team of 3 lambing over 2000 ewes outdoors in march, fed on clamped silage and molasses! No shed, no hay, no straw, no cats!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 02:28:38 pm »
My understanding was that Toxo required cats to complete the sexual phase of its life cycle which led me to mention of cats and feed (clearly contamination of the feed with cat faeces was less likely in your case unless done in the clamp, on the silage at pasture or on pasture itself). I take your point about vermin etc carrying aborted materials from place to place.

For those who are interested I've taken the following from Merck which is very handy for animal disease information in general:

"if ewes contract the disease late in gestation, abortions or perinatal deaths occur. Ewes do not usually appear sick. In an outbreak, there is usually a wide range in gestational age of aborted fetuses. In most cases there are no gross lesions, but in a few cases there are distinct small white foci, 1–3 mm in diameter, in some cotyledons. Fetal serology may also be used. Once infected, ewes are immune, so running unbred ewes with aborting ones may allow them to develop immunity. Preventing contamination of feed by cat feces may help reduce exposure. Toxoplasmosis is a zoonosis"

Good luck with your first day back tomorrow

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 03:55:45 pm »
Hillview farm, any more news yet? I hope you are coping and your ewe now has a lamb to look after
Is it time to retire yet?

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 07:10:35 pm »
No news I'm afraid  :(

Just waiting for a ewe to lamb but there is one very close with triplets so fingers crossed!
she still loves her lamb and is talking to it and keeps pawing it to get up so I'm hoping a new lamb in a sheep skin overcoat will be enough for her to be happy with.

Haven't milked her yet and she is still sealed up.

Only time will tell :/

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 08:09:52 pm »
can TOXOPLASMOSIS be caused by all cats or just tom cats. Sorry to hi jack the thread but i've found this very interesting and have tried googling it and not had much luck.

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 08:17:32 pm »
I'm so sorry that you had such a traumatic start. I have nothing useful to add, other than that we are rooting for you and your ewe, hoping for a happy ending x

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 08:41:25 pm »
You could milk out the colostrum and freeze then milk every day and freeze if you have the inclination  :sheep: As sally says  not ideal but you can still foster many days after lambing , hopefully  a lamb will arrive in the next day or so                                                                                     
can TOXOPLASMOSIS be caused by all cats or just tom cats. Sorry to hi jack the thread but i've found this very interesting and have tried googling it and not had much luck.
     Young cats are the problem ,older cats should be immune .      Look at EBLEX BETTER RETURNS   go into health and fertility

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 10:39:42 am »

All of 'em.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Re: Update* help, ewe just lost both lambs.
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 10:40:27 am »
Im sorry about your bad start  :bouquet:

I hope you can find her a lamb soon, I managed to foster a lamb onto a ewe two years ago who had lost her lamb 4 days before, I milked her out once a day and it seemed to do the trick

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2015, 12:03:10 pm »
Hate to say it. . . . but Snowy river. . . . get over yourself.

To the o.p - I hope you get a triplet soon!

snowyriver

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2015, 01:35:30 pm »
Hate to say it. . . . but Snowy river. . . . get over yourself.

What have I done to rock your branch?

It seems from your posts that you are very opinionated, so why have a problem when somebody else has an opinion that is different to yours?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2015, 02:00:29 pm »
From Moderator  ..... can we please stick to the subject here please .....
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2015, 02:53:29 pm »
yay thats great news :D :D :D  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS