Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: spectam  (Read 9474 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: spectam
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 11:45:30 am »
In this case, a squirt of Orajet (or Spectam) to newborns born indoors or coming indoors is a sensible precaution, in my view.  I have experienced a sudden, unexpected outbreak of E.coli in the lambing shed, when bad weather meant keeping lambs in longer than usual and the usual practises failed to maintain hygiene under the increased stocking, longer stays and wet conditions. 

The reason for advocating Orajet is that, once an outbreak starts is too late - lambs already more than 2 hours old cannot then be protected, only treated if they succumb.
Inexperienced sheepkeepers have enough to do learning basic lambing practises for the first year or two, and in this case I would advocate being prepared and avoiding the possibility of a catastrophic outbreak.

I agree. 

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 12:57:07 pm »
Well, in view of this suggestion, I asked my vet for some Spectam 'in case'.  Would not prescribe as a prophylactic :huff: , so I'm upping the hygiene even more!  The lambing pens are now cleaner than my kitchen :roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 02:02:49 pm »
Well, in view of this suggestion, I asked my vet for some Spectam 'in case'.  Would not prescribe as a prophylactic :huff: , so I'm upping the hygiene even more!  The lambing pens are now cleaner than my kitchen :roflanim:
Oh, my lambing pens are always cleaner than my kitchen :roflanim:  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 10:30:57 am »
Same here!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 12:47:01 pm »

Same here, but that says more about my kitchen than anything

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 01:27:20 pm »

Same here, but that says more about my kitchen than anything

'Zackly.

I hold with the adage, "You don't use it, you lose it", and we keep our immune systems well exercised!  lol
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS