Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: to feed or not to feed  (Read 3755 times)

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
to feed or not to feed
« on: February 25, 2015, 10:52:06 am »
Hi I took a wight measure of our hives today
and they are not bad, started 35kg down to 30kg.
one however is a bit lighter than the rest at 26kg.
was wondering about feeding them a 1kg of winter
feed, what do you think.? what are others doing.
or would it be better to wight until just before spring
to boost numbers. (with other type of feed) the runny stuff?
any thoughts would be good. thanks

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: to feed or not to feed
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 01:11:59 pm »
You could always put a bit of fondant in, which is what I normally do at this time of year. If they need/want it they will use it.

Weather is always a bit funny at this time of year, as it could go cold again which would make them hive bound, so I would play it safe.
________
Caroline

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 01:28:10 pm »
We have a hive that seems to be weaker than the others so OH is feeding them ambrosia
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:29:05 pm »
Popped a bit of fondant in ours to keep them going- nearly there now ( she says hoping she isn't tempting fate!)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 11:30:10 pm »
I got a new colony fairly late last season so I fed them with syrup going into winter and then put on fondant which they've had straight through. I did open it up briefly to put in some more insulation and was a bit worried that it appeared to be dripping down into the frames below but decided to just leave be and keep my fingers crossed! The other colony had virtually two full brood boxes of stores going into winter so I'm assuming they're OK.....

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 08:04:45 pm »
Hi thanks for the responses I think I will try some feed if they take it quickly we will
know they needed it, I was also concerned that with the retentively warm weather they
are already flying, so will need something to get them going. I am guessing water may
be an issue at this time of year.?
I'll re-post with anything of interest.
actually I'm thinking of dividing in spring because we want to expand. i'v never done this
any one got any tips?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 03:03:35 pm »
If it's cold out use sugar syrup, fondant will be too hard.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 10:50:33 pm »
I got a new colony fairly late last season so I fed them with syrup going into winter and then put on fondant which they've had straight through. I did open it up briefly to put in some more insulation and was a bit worried that it appeared to be dripping down into the frames below but decided to just leave be and keep my fingers crossed! The other colony had virtually two full brood boxes of stores going into winter so I'm assuming they're OK.....

Be careful using insulation for it often leads to lots of mould growing condensation .

Bees handle a week or more of  freeze down to minus 10 oC quite happily,  so long as theh hive is airy ,dry & the cluster can migrate over  stored honey and fondant.

Once the outer bees of the cluster get a feed and they also take a bit down into the centre nest where they " shiver " to produce enough heat that will see the queen hot enough to lay her eggs  and also for new sealed brood to hatch . When these fed bees are heading inwards to thee queen , the bees on the outer edges of the cluster make for the stored food and so the cycle continues .... with luck.

It's quite revealing to slip the probe on a digital thermometer with a 1 mtr long wire probe in the middle of the brood box as you give the last feed of the year and see what temperatures you get over winter .

By now 18 March queen in the successfully overwintered  hives will be laying like mad  .
 She  seems to reach a really good  rate by  the equinox ( 23 March ) . About 11 th to 21 st April they begin  to start swarming .

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS