Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Lancashire  (Read 2835 times)

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Hello from Lancashire
« on: February 24, 2015, 06:48:18 pm »
Hi, Im Kim and we bought our 9 acre smallholding in October 2014. We are in Anglezarke, on the edge of the West Pennine Moors.
We bought the place so we could have our 2 BIG irish draught horses at home, after  ( in my case) 50 years of livery! but we have the "bug" now and we now have 6 hybrid chooks, 2 feral cats and 3 Ryeland lambs on order to fatten over summer. Husband is busy planting our veg and fruit...he's the grower and Im the animal person!

Our house is a very small stone barn conversion that we hope to extend a little in future. we have fantastic hacking right from our door as we are right next to Rivington and Utd utilities have made most of the land open-access.
Our land is mostly down to pasture. Its mixed grasses. a bit wet at the moment but gently sloping and no major problems with it...some overgrown hedges and neglected ditches is all.
We also have a one acre certificated location ( caravans) but don't expect many visitors.
Ive been visiting this lovely website for months and thought it was time to join in! Not least because we have a lot to learn.
Is it time to retire yet?

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
Re: Hello from Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 05:38:50 pm »
 :wave:

Welcome!
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 05:42:58 pm »
Hi and thank you Bex  :wave:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 06:14:11 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum from Carmarthenshire  :wave:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 06:25:35 pm »
Hello Bionic and thanks.  :wave:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:21:26 pm »
Hello from Devon. I used to hunt with an Irish draught as a girl. He had feet like dinner plates and could go where no other horses could go  :horse:

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 09:02:38 pm »
Hi Devonlady,  did you like the ID? We have an Irish-bred ISH, 17hh aged 10 and a registered ID, 17.2hh aged 6. The RID is  built like a small bungalow! He's my husband's horse but tbh Id like to steal him off him! I love him.

What part of Devon are you in? Until last summer we owned a cottage near Sidmouth. We intended to retire there but had to sell it when my employer (the government: god bless it) decided they wouldn't let me retire until Im 67. We then decided we couldn't wait that long to live the way we wanted to so we sold the house in Devon and moved here. At the time I was gutted but I really love it here so maybe it was all meant to be. Mind you....I still have to work til Im 67!!  :gloomy:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 09:51:35 am »
I loved Seamus but later worked in National Hunt stables and became enamoured of thoroughbreds which I love to this day.
I don't keep horses and live on the edge of Dartmoor. I never thought I would bless my age but was able to retire at 60 :sunshine: :sunshine:

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 12:03:11 pm »
Hi from Caithness  :wave: I have a rescue Shetland, chestnut flaxen and he's a stallion.
Some idiots gave him to a young family as a 'riding pony'  ::)
Have had Cobs when our daughters were home, my favourite, love their feathers and long manes and tails, beautiful !
My boy bimbles round our place, dont keep him in his paddock, he likes to go on his rounds checking the  :sheep: :goat: :chook:
There are horses nearby so he shouts to them. My friend breeds Shires, gentle giants, majestic beauties.
 :roflanim: as you might have guessed l love horses ! Maybe you could put up some pics some time ?
Enjoy your piece  of paradise. :thumbsup:

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 12:43:50 pm »
 :wave: Hi Kelly. Nice to meet you.
Is your Shetland a mini terrorist? All the ones Ive had dealings with have been...small man syndrome perhaps? ;) I sometimes think they trade on their cuteness!
Our boys couldnt be described as "cute"!

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 01:47:25 pm »
He was a hand full when we got him, had plenty of 'attitude ' Biting, wouldnt let you do his feet without a fight.
Hes a pussy cat now, loves everyone, even the postie ! Knocks at the door when his tummy says its dinner time. Follows us around doing the chores, OH says hes the foreman.Love him to bits :love:  :horse:
One of our daughters now has a hanoverian, Mr Darcy, hes a slender beautiful laddie.
She does dressage with him, so clever. They are amazing animals never cease to amaze me.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 03:11:41 pm »
How lovely. You've done well to turn your Shetland round, especially as he's still entire. Do you work him?
I like Hanovarians too. Well I like most Warmbloods. My last horse was a pure bred Holsteiner but he dropped dead in his field 20 months ago. We did dressage too but after he went I hadn't the heart to train another so I went the other way to cold bloods. Its a whole different experience but on the whole ours are good boys.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 03:56:44 pm »
Dont work him, he's 22 and the reason the people gave him off to this young couple was that they couldnt use him for breeding anymore as he has a 'clicky' leg ( dont know the medical term ?) He has herbal meds in his dins that eases it, obviously  arthritis is setting in but it can be managed. Vet says hes a little soldier doesnt stop him enjoying life.
So sorry to hear about your loss :bouquet: My daughters cob, Lady Kate had to be put down last year, broke my heart, she was a diamond, bomb proof. Its like loosing a part of you. Same as loosing any animal,  l live for my animals, they give you so much pleasure and dont ask for much in return.  :)

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 05:02:32 pm »
How true.
Long may your little  soldier keep soldiering on

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS