Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep looking poor  (Read 2194 times)

dizzykizzy

• Joined Feb 2010
Sheep looking poor
« on: February 24, 2015, 06:11:07 pm »

We have an 8 year old Ryeland Wether who is looking rough this winter. His sisters that arrived at the same time are all looking fine. Is it likely to be old age or should I be getting the vet?
He is sitting on his own a lot in the shelter and only comes out really for his biscuits, doesn't seem to be much wrong with his appetite but I have noticed his hip bones and his spine to an extent are sticking out so he has lost a lot of weight as he used to be round. He also seems to be losing bits of his fleece, not seen him rubbing but he has a bald patch on his chest and stray bits of straggly wool all over him.
I've brought him in to a stable today so I can watch him but can anyone offer any advice please?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Sheep looking poor
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 06:46:47 pm »
Could you take him to see the vet , cheaper than a callout , could be anything  teeth / lice / scab / worms / fluke/ heart / etc   pointless guessing

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 07:15:07 pm »
I agree best ask a professional than  sit and guess while he deteriorates. There are too many things it could be and by the time these posts go back and forth you could have a diagnosis and be treating him . :thinking:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 08:32:19 pm »
Absolutely, take him to the vet.  My money's on teeth ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 06:48:23 pm »
Hi just wondered if you had any news about your boy ??? :thinking:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS