Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chickens then pigs then lambs up on Bodmin Moor!  (Read 3483 times)

B3a5tie

• Joined Feb 2015
Chickens then pigs then lambs up on Bodmin Moor!
« on: February 24, 2015, 02:41:40 pm »
Hi All. Am new to this amazing site and forum. A city girl, born and bred, I left London for Cornwall a few years ago. First read all the books on chickens (terrifying!) but got a few Black Rocks and managed perfectly well.  :chook: Now have a mixed free range flock of egg layers and had a few table birds too. Then read all the books on pigs (even more terrifying!) but went ahead and got 2 Cornish Blacks and managed perfectly well again.  :pig: Have had several lots of pigs now and currently have 5 Saddleback Crosses. Then read all the books on sheep (almost fainted!) and now have 3 orphan lambs - this definitely is TERRIFYING!! One straight off her Mum so took us a week to get her bottle feeding, one has Joint Ill so taking lots of TLC (and cash!!), third one a big bouncy boy - thank goodness!  :sheep: Have been getting fantastic advice and tips from this site. Hope that one day I might be able to give a little back!  :wave:

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Re: Chickens then pigs then lambs up on Bodmin Moor!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 07:15:24 pm »
Oh my goodness! That's a baptism of fire! well done you.
Its a brill website isn't it? Im new too but we are mainly horse people ( plus chooks and soon-to-be lambs).
Don't think I could handle pigs tho: I know someone who had a chunk bitten out of her leg by the family pet pig! That's doesn't sound very friendly does it?!!

Good luck and keep us posted re your news
Kimbo
Is it time to retire yet?

B3a5tie

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 07:57:47 pm »
Hi Kimbo!  :thumbsup: Pigs are honestly the easiest so far! Although we have only bought in weaners and fattened them up so haven't had to deal with angry Mummy Pigs! Our legs are still intact!  Horses sound so much more complicated!! Good luck with your lambs - hope you're stocking up on sleep now.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 08:06:21 pm »
haha!
Oh Horses! don't get me started! I wish I had taken up embroidery all those years ago....think of the lovely fingernails id have now, the unbroken digits and all that money in the bank!!  ::)

We are cheating on the lamb front....buying stores to fatten up! No all-nighters for me! Not yet anyway
Is it time to retire yet?

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 08:19:33 pm »
Hello to you both :wave: from arbroath
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:43:56 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

B3a5tie

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:07:32 pm »
I think stores is a good way to go! I am now off out into the dark and the rain to do the next feed. Good job they're cute!  :raining:

Hello Rosemary and Mojocafa!  :)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 12:48:42 am »
Hello and welcome from Durham  :wave:

B3a5tie

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 07:10:49 am »
Hi Mammyshaz!  :wave:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 07:11:45 am »
Hello from Dartmoor :wave:

B3a5tie

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 07:20:07 am »
Hi Devon Lady  :wave: Dartmoor not too far from us! That's where our lambs came from too!

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 01:29:19 pm »
Hi,  :wave:

One of the things I enjoy about reading these types of posts, is realising I am not the only nutter that has gone down this route   :relief:
________
Caroline

B3a5tie

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 09:27:34 pm »
Nutter is right Caroline! :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS