Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fresh goats milk  (Read 3939 times)

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
Fresh goats milk
« on: February 24, 2015, 12:17:30 pm »
Hi, I am looking for some fresh goats milk as I would like to try and make some cheese and butter, i am in West Lothian Scotland.

Cheers

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Fresh goats milk
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 01:01:54 pm »
Hi,

We are located just outside West Lothian, and my sister is located in West Lothian, and we both keep dairy goats.

However- it is illegal to sell unpasturised milk in Scotland.

"Food Hygiene (Scotland) Regulations 2006 N0.3 which came into force on 11 January 2006 and state that : ‘No person shall place on the market raw milk, or raw cream, intended for direct human consumption’. This extends the ban to include sheep, goats, buffalo and any other species farmed for its milk."

So, then we could look at selling pasturised milk, but I believe the regulations for this are very stringent, which neither ourselves nor my sister is set up for.

At present we dont have any spare milk in any case- my sister is currently selling her spare milk to a pet shop for consumption for dogs (this is legal). And all of our adult goats are currently pregnant, but are due at the beginning of March, so we may have some spare milk, but it will not be until later in March.

You may be able to source some from England, as there are companies which ship milk I believe, and they have different regulations!

I will drop you a pm as well.

Beth

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 04:29:09 pm »
Hi, thanks for getting back to me, please keep me in mind if you have any spare milk and pm me I will give you my mobile number.

Cheers

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 08:46:25 pm »
In England it is illegal to sell unpasteurised milk for human consumption. When I used to sell it, I did tell the buyers that it was for animal consumption. What they then chose to do with it was up to them.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 12:20:14 am »
same here, we can't sell unpasteurised milk so thinking about investing on one this year when our milking starts in earnest
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 12:27:19 pm »
In England it is illegal to sell unpasteurised milk for human consumption. When I used to sell it, I did tell the buyers that it was for animal consumption. What they then chose to do with it was up to them.

In England unpasteurised milk can be sold for human consumption as long as it is direct from farm to consumer. In Scotland it can only be sold for animal consumption.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 02:01:45 pm »
Although it is a bit more complicated than that as to sell raw milk (legally) you must be on a licsenced premises, they must be inspected twice a year and your animals must be tested quarterly together with a whole load of other restrictions:

This is the official party line for England and Wales taken from the government website
http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/farmingfood/dairy-guidance/rawmilkcream:

I only sell my milk to those who tell me it is for their pets, at the moment it is feeding my neighbours cade lambs so actually true!

:innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 03:05:39 am »
And I knew of a farmer who was done for selling milk to people, knowing it was for human consumption, even though he had marked it 'For animal consumption only.'

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 05:22:03 pm »
Well I don't think I will be getting my fresh goats milk, what if I said it was for ma dug would it help. I only wanted to try a small amount to see if I liked it then I would consider keeping a couple of goats. I don't want to buy the milk from the supermarket as I don't think it would be the same as the fresh milk.
Cheers for all the information.

Caz2015

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 09:59:03 pm »
I stay near Lanark, just wondering what kind if goats you have? My dogs love goats milk!! X

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS