Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: You've got to laugh......  (Read 3678 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
You've got to laugh......
« on: February 21, 2015, 04:46:20 pm »
,,,,or cry.

I used to do all the veg growing myself with just a little help from my husband and sons.  The amount I can do decreases year on year, and sometimes I think I do nothing  :(

We decided a couple of years ago to reduce the amount of ground we cultivate for growing, to save waste and effort.  There are five growing areas, each about 8m square, and we decided to grass one of those over, the idea being to create a weedfree, frequently mown area, which we could plough up when we needed it for rotation.  The following year we grassed over two more, leaving us with two growing areas, a high bed with more planned, and the polytunnel.  This doesn't leave enough plots for adequate rotation, so the time has come to plough up the first area grassed over, put the tatties in there, then grass over one of the plots currently in use, and continue that swapping one each year.

Or it would be, except that Mr F has fallen in love with his little patches of lawn and won't let me use them  ::)

:'( :roflanim: :'( :roflanim: :'(

So now I'm stuck with fitting a three year rotation into two plots.  I suppose I'll have to do my sums  :garden:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 04:48:30 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: You've got to laugh......
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 10:28:26 pm »
 :roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 10:52:22 pm »
{smiling}   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 07:20:08 am »
 :roflanim:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 10:51:20 pm »
Simples ,
Split each plot in half with cord & pegs to give you six beds that you can play rotation in .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 11:08:15 pm »
Simples ,
Split each plot in half with cord & pegs to give you six beds that you can play rotation in .

It's a bit more complicated than that (loads of spuds but not so much of some other groups), only two big plots, and loads and loads of weeds in one bit but I'll do something like that.  Too snowy and cold today to do anything outside  :garden:
One of the two plots was all spuds last year, and the other was mostly spuds the year before.  I think we might have identified a grassy bit I'll be allowed to use - it's not ideal so it's a compromise.

Lawns  ::) ::) ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 11:47:12 pm »
Never seen the point of lawns myself unless you have young children who might want to play out in the garden.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 11:53:39 pm »
Our 'lawn' is now a lamb paddock close to the house ;D :hugsheep:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 05:15:54 pm »
Never seen the point of lawns myself unless you have young children who might want to play out in the garden.

My pocket handkerchief lawns are far easier to handle with the lightweight electric mower than digging, sowing & tending them as a gardens, plus it helps give a bit of green material for the composting .
The mower is a fantastic weed sorter outer as well,  so I don't get back ache like I would if I were to weed them like i'd get in ground level veg bed set up's.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 09:13:42 pm »

My lawn is a lamb paddock too! Sheep love it and so does husband, as he won't have to mow it for ages!! Kids don't mind, thought they will end up tracking sheep poo into the house... :-\
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 10:15:20 pm »

My lawn is a lamb paddock too! Sheep love it and so does husband, as he won't have to mow it for ages!! Kids don't mind, thought they will end up tracking sheep poo into the house... :-\

:idea:  :thinking: We kept the kids out in the goat house ... but  there's no accounting for taste.  :roflanim:

:idea:  :-J  If it is human kids why not send em out barefooted , have a Ministry  approved foot & wheel wash with a foot of more of Verkon " S "solution in it for them  to dip & wash on their feet in on the way back in to the house .

The jobs done ...... clean footed kid and clean shoes and less wear on their shoes.  :roflanim:

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 10:02:59 am »
Perfect cloddopper!
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS