Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: puzzeled  (Read 2363 times)

raygezer

• Joined Jan 2011
  • brittany
puzzeled
« on: February 20, 2015, 06:53:09 pm »
Hi folks i have a question !tonight checking sheep before dark one of my girls were missing i found her in the end on her side looks like she could have been there for a while ;( i managed to get her on her feet couldnt stand at first  after a while she ran off she is due to lamb end of march. help please

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Re: puzzeled
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 07:58:43 pm »
She had got cast, because she is large, and possibly very wooly, and couldn't get her legs down to stand up!  One of my Romneys does it a lot in the last month up to lambing.  If they have been stuck on their sides for a few hours they do wobble about a bit when you stand them up.

raygezer

• Joined Jan 2011
  • brittany
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 08:20:51 pm »
Hi yes she is very wooly and very round thanks sounds about right.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 11:48:40 am »
It can be dangerous as gasses build up and the animal can die if not rescued in time.  As you know you have this problem, check them every few hours.  When you stand the sheep, hold onto her until she has burped etc before you let her go.  When she is delivering the same thing can happen so watch carefully as she lambs.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 12:10:02 pm »
In the past we've occasionally had a ewe that keeps casting.  We checked early morning (crows will peck out their eyes) and last thing in the evening and also at midday if we were around.  We always culled them after weaning.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 12:22:47 pm »
If the cast sheep is badly bloated when you find her, tip her upright end over end rather than over to her side. This will prevent any added pressure on her insides as you right her. :)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 08:32:21 pm »
Right on cue, checked ewes at 4.30pm when I popped inside for a cup of tea, again at 5pm on my way out to collect son from bus stop.  Romney ewe was cast, wiggling around on her side, rushed over to tip her up and found she had lambed and was lying on her lamb!!  Poor wee mite!!  Tipped her up and let her mother and lick her rather confused lamb!!  So lucky I went out when I did!!  Cracking big ram lamb who is now tucked up in a pen with mummy and no worse for his squashing!! Picked my son up from college bus and he had a peek at the lamb.  Wow, he said, that is going to make a beautiful sheepskin rug!! He is right! Hampshire on a Romney.  Lamb is white with brown head and brown spots all over!! Moral of the story, either cull ewes that get cast a lot, or check them very regularly close to lambing!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS