Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Going to see a dog - questions to ask  (Read 8520 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Going to see a dog - questions to ask
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 08:08:43 am »
They look lovely   :)

The only thing I'd say now is don't worry too much - you've done a lot of thinking and planning, so now just collect them and give them affection and space and I bet they'll be fine.  If you think of it at first like looking after a friends' dogs while the owners are on holiday... Generally, with a few of their own things to help them settle, dogs have a lovely time while their owners are away; I've even had one of mine look as though he was planning on staying with his minders when I went to pick him up!  (He sat by them on the doorstep as I left, looking as though he was saying, "Well, lovely to see you, do come again!"  ::))

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 02:12:06 pm »
Big one for me is time! They will need time to settle in, however be sure what the rules are in the beginning. The first month for any new dogs is learning what the boundaries are and whilst it may be cute having a shy dog creep on the sofa next to you in the beginning, a few weeks later they will not be so shy so make sure you are consistent, especially when they start to push the boundaries (which they will do).   ;D
________
Caroline

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 04:59:28 pm »
I agree with Caroline: give them time. Its going to be an upheaval for them even though they are staying together. They have to learn to read your body language and your do's and dont's. They will make mistakes and so will you so don't be too hard on any of you.
I hope it works out well. You are doing a worthwhile thing  :)
Is it time to retire yet?

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 09:41:08 pm »
Thanks again for the advice, please keep it coming!
I picked them up this lunchtime. We went for a long walk and I had them out on the yard with me while I was mucking out (on long leads!). We also walked them up to the sheep paddock through the ponies field. They pulled more and were much less responsive than when we walked them from their own home but I guess everything is so new and different its just going to take time (as a few of you have said!). There are dog training classes locally specifically for older dogs that have changed owners so I think we will enrol in a couple of weeks just to help reinforce the basic commands.
The cats are not impressed and are hiding under the spare bed! We are giving them lots of fuss and treats. I'm sure they will adapt but at the moment I feel very mean!

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 11:17:56 pm »
Exciting times!  :thumbsup:
Time and patience are the two words you have to remember, over and over again. You can't expect anybody to get used to the new situation overnight - cats or dogs (or yourself, for that matter). The dogs will be naturally overexcited by their new environment.

In the past I brought a dog into a house full of cats too, and none of the cats were impressed (and neither was the dog to have his movements confined to one room at a time). I really struggled with the feeling of having betrayed the cats at the time, and worrying about having destroyed peace in my household. yes, I was feeing very maean too!

I put in a doggy door and only increased access to the house for the dog very gradually. I did lots of treat feeding on either side of the dog gate - cats got treats for coming close in presence of dog, dog got treats for staying put (sit or down) in the presence of cats, focussing on me not them. Stream of treats would stop for both sides if cats moved away from dog. The dog would only venture outside 'his' room in the house under supervision., treating for focussing on me and not the cats.

It took a month or so for the 3 younger cats to realise that the dog could be annoying but not dangerous, a few months later they were OK together (they now sleep together sometimes). My older cat still can't stand the dog (4 years later) - it took her six months to even consider staying in the same room as the dog for any longer than 2 minutes. But she has now learned to not be terrified of him despite her dislike - they just avoid each other, so that's OK too.

If you are prepared to move slowly, not rushing anybody, and manage all dog/cat meetings closely until everyone is ready, I'm sure you'll get there. Hang on in there!  :fc:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 10:53:27 am »
Unfortunately they have gone back to their owner she said she couldn't bare not to have them around. What could we say?! We enjoyed having them and it was a good taster. I think next time (will wait until after lambing now) we will go to a local rescue centre,we have one with a good reputation for matching dogs with new owners.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 10:59:26 am »
Oh, that's horrid for you.   :hug:   

I'm sure you'll get matched up with a lovely dog by your local rescue and have a happier story to tell us soon!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 11:36:10 am »
I really feel for you. Luckily you hadn't had them for too long.
Some years ago I got a dog from a rescue centre. within a couple of days it became ill and it turned out to have distemper. I nursed the dog day and night and she made a full recovery. Then the original owners turned up and wanted her back. I was gutted as we had bonded so well but what could I do?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 01:29:44 pm »
 :hug:  Sally.

I think I am right in saying that these days, the original owners would not have been able to recover the dog, as they had not reclaimed her within the 7 days.  Once microchipping is mandatory, and as long as all dog wardens and rescues read them, an owner who reports a missing dog promptly should get reunited if it's found - wherever it is found, which will save a lot of heartbreak in all directions.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 06:03:33 pm »
Im sorry to hear that news Hafod but just go back to  Plan A and have a trip to the rescue. There are lots of nice dogs looking for homes so Im sure you will meet a nice one
Is it time to retire yet?

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 09:13:04 pm »
I am so sorry to hear this, especially as you had made so much effort for them as well. However at least another doggy out there will get a lovely new home, there are far too many stuck in rescues as people keep breeding when there are already not enough homes available... sorry rant over. I hope you find the right match for you.
________
Caroline

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 09:23:18 pm »
Sorry it's been such a short stay... as you say it's all part of the process.
Hope you get lucky with your second attempt. As Caroline says - there are lots of lovely rescue dogs out there.  :dog:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS