Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rural business  (Read 2007 times)

shadygrovefarm

• Joined Mar 2014
    • Shadygrove Farm
Rural business
« on: February 17, 2015, 07:57:59 pm »
I'm just thinking about starting a new business which is quite a bit different from my current on line business but I'm struggling to find any information or advice on rural business,

A forum would be great, I find asking questions to those who've already done it a great way to learn, I've had a look round here but can't find anything about small rural businesses, can anyone point me in a direction of some good places to look?

I was a member of WiRE which was great when I lived in England as we had regular network meetings but I can't find anything like it Scotland & feeling a bit lost, does anyone know of any similar groups?

Thanks  ;D

mustangsally278

• Joined Jan 2015
Re: Rural business
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:06:53 am »
http://www.bgateway.com/ are very helpful, lots of free courses, help with business plans, market research, and allsorts. Hope that helps!  :wave:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 12:18:01 am »
hi,
we have a rural business in Scotland  :wave:

really a lot of it is down to what kind of business you plan on starting  ???

have dealt with business gateway previously and it wasn't a particularly positive experience for us but you may find it different, depending on who your advisor is.

anyway, good luck with your plans
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

shadygrovefarm

• Joined Mar 2014
    • Shadygrove Farm
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 08:03:06 pm »
Thanks for replies  ;D

I've been in touch with business gateway and thought I'd let you know how I got on....
The advisor was lovely, very positive and encouraging, loved the idea and thought it'd work - however she couldn't give me any advice because she didn't know anything about planning rules or if I would need to get change of use on one of our buildings!

Although the encouragement & positivity was great, I came out feeling very confident until I realised I didn't go in there for a confidence boost!

Back to the drawing board.
I've done a bit of digging on google and found some info I'll just keep looking for now  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS