Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing for Wildlife  (Read 3035 times)

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
Fencing for Wildlife
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:00:59 pm »
Hi,
We need to fence the land around our new house and paddocks and are unsure what sort of fencing to use. Currently the land is surrounded by hedges (which we intend to keep) but we have the difficulty of needing to fence in young children,  while not wishing to keep out or disrupt wildlife that must already use the land or cross it.
I assume we need fence posts with large square wire fencing in between so that animals can climb through but adventurous children cannot - but any recommendations or help would be appreciated?
Thanks in advance!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Fencing for Wildlife
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 07:33:01 am »
I would say pig netting would answer your dilemma, unless, of course the children are of a climbing age( my sheep- netting is all creased, despite dire warnings to my grandchildren >:()
Also, badgers will go the way they have gone forever whatever you put in their way! If you are serious about allowing wildlife access then, if you have badger runs you can put in badger-sized drainage pipe under the fences. Your local wildlife society will identify them.
Most of us are keen to keep wildlife out but good luck to you :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 11:44:03 am »
<<<Most of us are keen to keep wildlife out>>>

It does depend on the wildlife - rabbits, foxes and badgers are definitely unwelcome, moles a bit less so.  On the other hand, hedgehogs, frogs and toads, hares, slow worms, small rodents such as voles, and just about all birds are very welcome.

I agree that children can climb over mesh fencing, and hop between the strands of tensioned wire, as can your dogs.  Sticking barbed wire on the top is not the answer, as they will still go over but shred themselves in the process.  As you already have hedges, is it possible to put the fence on the outside of the hedge?  What you can't see you are less likely to think of.  Our dogs no longer try to get over the fence because it's hidden behind hedgerows.
Using vertical slats would stop them climbing but is prohibitively expensive and would be like living in a prison compound.

Depending on the ages of your children, showing them the boundaries and explaining why they mustn't go beyond them alone - the difference between adventure and danger - might help.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:45:35 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 04:52:28 pm »
"as they will still go over but shred themselves in the process"

One of the most dangerous practices for dogs, deer, Welsh Mountain sheep etc is to put two wires (of any kind) on top of your fences as they can put the foot between the two as they jump, the wire twists as they go over leaving them injured and suspended in the air. I wouldn't worry about one strand of taut barb as much as two plain ones especially if not super tight.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 07:18:08 am »
Agree, Me. Barbed wire should be dropped into the depths of hell :rant: :rant: but I have seen a deer with it's leg broken by  becoming trapped in two top wires. Top fence rails would be my choice if I really needed something on top of stock fencing.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 08:35:42 am »
Top fence rails are lovely, a bit expensive and hard to install vs wire and there is more maintenance especially if you have horses who eat them and knock them off, so you end up either painting them with anti chew paint, adding electric wire or replacing them a lot. The same goes to some extent to horses and plain wire, unless electrifies they rub their bums on the fences and the posts become loose.

Best have no horses!

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 03:59:08 pm »
Thanks all for the responses. I see I'm going to have to learn a lot about having more than a small London garden to work with!! I just assumed we'd like to encourage wildlife in but maybe this will need some more thought! Fencing outside the hedges is a definite possibility so cheers for the thoughts. I'm now off to look at pig and sheep netting.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS