Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: prolapse UPDATE  (Read 9961 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: prolapse
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 04:44:55 pm »
Give her Pen & Strep, trish, straight away if you can.  Otherwise, good job!   :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 04:50:08 pm »
big gold star for me Sally, gave her P and S earlier today!!    :thumbsup:

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 07:43:37 pm »
Hi sorry i wasn't very clear as stated by (me), iodine non dilute would pinch a bit, we use Dilute Betadine here, and at time of writing I thought that was the same, wrong again as it is dilute to start with.. hae. anyway just posted to say.
 Dilute hibi perfect.! Well done its quite a challenge first time.

did you tie the spoon stings to the fleece? we did this as instructed the first time, but she pulled the spoon out by rubbing on a fence.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 09:43:45 pm »
hmm, yes strings tied to fleece.  Have just checked her and still in ok.  Will have another check before bed!!

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 11:09:17 am »
After many years of lambing on large farms, I never managed to keep a spoon in with string tied to fleece!
I preferred the stitch, but it does need constant attention to make sure it doesn't tear the ewe when she tries to lamb if you haven't cut it. I also found the harnesses really good.
If I was putting in spoons, I made a makeshift 'harness' to tie it to with baler twine, ideally the thick stuff, if not then double/triple thin stuff to make it less likely to dig and rub the ewe.
First step was a good loop that goes round the neck, tied onto itself so it won't slip tighter when attached to the other strings.
Then a string tied to the middle of the loop, going down the middle of her back.
Finally, a loop round each back leg, tied to the string in the middle of the back until reasonably tight.
Then I could get the strings on the spoon to tie somewhere that seems the most natural angle either on the back leg loops or the join in the middle of the back, depending on the shape of the ewe.
Hope that helps someone
Suzanne

cooksey

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 09:26:08 pm »
i have found if you pull a clump of wool up slightly then wrap each end around a few times and pull very tight then tie they dont rub it of if its low into the wool

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 09:54:35 pm »
Ewe doing well, spoon still in tied to wool.  Everything looking clean and healthy.   :fc:

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 01:37:03 pm »
Update - Ewe lambed this morning.  2 massive ram lambs, both missing a front leg, one up over its head and the other right back!!  Got them both out easily.  No prolapse, I took the spoon out when I saw she was starting to lamb.  afterbirth came away nicely and nothing else has popped out! Phew  :relief:

The spoon worked really well, twice she tried to push her prolapse out through the spoon but I popped it back in. 

Now in a dilemma, should she be retired/culled after weaning or dare I put her back in lamb again.  It was just a vaginal prolapse, she had 2 massive ram lambs, and they have been on adlib hay. 

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: prolapse UPDATE
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 01:51:46 pm »
Yes cull/retire her best for her welfare

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 01:55:35 pm »
Thankyou, I reckon she will join the retirement flock to keep the ewe lambs I hold back company!!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 01:57:31 pm »
Good idea

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 02:29:31 pm »
Don't try to lamb her again. Chances are you will get yourselves and her a load of trouble which isn't fair on either of you. Retire her and enjoy what she has produced for you.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 03:12:44 pm »
Update - Ewe lambed this morning.  2 massive ram lambs, both missing a front leg,

You had three-legged lambs? Can we have a photo?  ;D (Sorry couldn't stop myself.... been up half the night watching a goat thinking about kidding only to finally lie down and chew her cud after all.... still no kids and she is three days overdue)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 03:40:30 pm »
Update - Ewe lambed this morning.  2 massive ram lambs, both missing a front leg,

You had three-legged lambs? Can we have a photo?  ;D (Sorry couldn't stop myself.... been up half the night watching a goat thinking about kidding only to finally lie down and chew her cud after all.... still no kids and she is three days overdue)

I read it the same at first, was thinking, "Oh no!   :o   Schmallenburg?", then read on.   :relief:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 04:46:41 pm »
I honestly thought the first lamb really did only have 3 legs!!  No matter where I felt I couldn't find it!!  Finally found it wrapped round the top of its neck!! Slight moment of panic!!  Along with the "please don't prolapse! panic!! 

2 sets of twins and 2 huge singles so far. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS