Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eating afterbirth  (Read 2323 times)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Eating afterbirth
« on: February 15, 2015, 11:39:20 am »
I've been asked whether its good or bad for a fresh calved cow to eat the afterbirth or not?

My gut says yes but I couldn't say why- vaguely think for hormone reasons?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Eating afterbirth
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 02:11:40 pm »
Neither it is nature , most cows don't  as most sheep don't ,   I have had one cow and one sheep die while eating its cleansing out of many thousands so very rare (so in my case I remove  and could say its bad for a cow to eat its cleansing )

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 02:21:10 pm »
I believe it is a behaviour to help hide the birth from potential predators. I remove it by choice.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 04:02:05 pm »
Me too - makes sense in the wild but must be highly indigestible, especially for a ruminant!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 05:23:06 pm »
I always think 'full of protein' and if she wants it, let her have it. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 05:56:04 pm »
I have utterly no experience of cattle afterbirth. But I'm sharing my twa penniworth anyway  ;) ;D

We remove the afterbirth from our dairy goats. In the wild, in nature, they would eat the afterbirth. However, as we now have generations and hundreds of years of breeding these animals to domesticate them, and to change them to what we want, the afterbirths tend to be bigger. The bigger they are (or the more offspring they have- possibly more relative to goats/sheep than cows) the bigger the afterbirth will be, and the more difficult it will be to digest.

So this is why we remove it from our animals. This I guess may apply more to the commercial or dairy breeds of cattle rather than rare (or even smaller) breeds, as we would expect the rare breeds to be closer to their original ancestors, than the ones who have been bred for bulk or milk production.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS