Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric Fencing for pigs  (Read 7660 times)

Kerriech

• Joined Sep 2014
Electric Fencing for pigs
« on: February 12, 2015, 04:46:09 pm »
We are getting ready to recieve our first 3 weaners. Need to buy electric fencing as I intend to paddock our field to contain the pigs in a smallish area and move them when each bit is clear. I also want to keep the 4 lambs separate.
Firstly - Can anybody recommend a supplier of electric fencing. There seems to be millions out there and their prices vary hugely. The  plan is mains power and 3 wire fence with moveable posts.

Secondly - Will mains electric fencing fry my lambs? I know pigs are clever enough to learn about electric fence, but are lambs? or should I put up something else on the other side of the electric to keep them away?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

happyharry

• Joined Jun 2014
Re: Electric Fencing for pigs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 06:15:22 pm »
In my experience its best to educate animals about electric fencing by containing them in a pen/arc/sty with a small area of electric fencing surrounding the doorway. Use at least one strand of tape as that also provides a visual deterant. Use a cheap and cheerful tester to ensure that the fence is working. After a few days the animals will have respect for it, and you can then extend the fenced area. I would still suggest that you use at least one strand of tape to maintain a visual deterant.
Then you just need to inspect daily to ensure that its not earthing out as a result of pigs rooting turf over it or vegetation growing against it.
Can't really advise on suppliers. I bought a load of used fencing, stakes, etc from a local pig farmer who was reducing numbers and that has served me well for a couple of years. Maybe others can help on this point.
Good luck

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 07:06:32 pm »
Hi  :wave:

I was asking the same questions as you just under two years ago although I power from battery - mains much better. I used (use) hotline Gemini dual energisers and the Rutland polycord which I think I bought from countrystore direct online. Think they also do kits. The energisers are not cheap - about £70, but they have lasted me well despite being subjected to the weather and they warn if the current is dipping. I think the tape probably is better for animals new to it but having said that I haven't had any issues with the cord (wire) I just use the brightly coloured ones - and I don't use expensive stuff as the cheaper cord works just fine for me. I use the cheapish plastic green/white fence posts which I buy in bulk from countrywide (stores around UK or online). And also top up my cord from them too. To start with I string up the electric fence but either have permanent fencing outside it in the little training patch or if not, a few hurdles on the outside of the electric fence just so that when they react to it for the first couple of times, they reverse rather than plough through it. It takes weaners very little time to get used to it in my experience.
Have fun - having pigs has brought me huge enjoyment. And meat which not only tastes great, but I feel good about eating.
Martha R

lars64

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 10:39:43 pm »
I've tried several different types, but found that Rappa are the best of what I've tried for electric fencing bits. If you can stretch to it, the steel stakes (http://www.rappa.co.uk/products/45-90cm-steel-stake-25-pack) are by far the best. Polywire has the advantage that it's much more visible and that seems a little better for sheep. The disadvantage is that it get's dirty pretty quickly and is nowhere near as robust as stranded steel wire. So stranded steel wire is the best way to go for pigs IMO. I like the metal anchor posts, but again they are mainly good for sheep where you want to move them quite often, not such a big advantage with pigs (just bang in some nice sturdy wooden posts at the corners and use screw in insulators). As mentioned by someone else, try to buy weaners that are already electric fence trained. Otherwise I've found screwing a board over the front of the ark for the first day & night (with them inside obviously), followed by a small area fenced in with a bit of pig netting AND a low single strand of electric seems to work OK. Once they get a belt from the fence, their first instinct is to run like mad. If you've got them used to the ark, they will likely run back there. If you just have electric fencing at this point they will run straight through it, hence the small area of pig netting. As soon as they've been zapped a few times they get the idea and after a week or so you can make them a nice big pen with 3 wire electric and they are as happy as Larry. At least that's my experience!

For anyone who thinks this is cruel (pretty sure nobody on accidental smallholder is that daft), it's not. I held onto the fence when I was trying this out originally and 6,000 volts certainly wakes you right up, but it's not pain. I've zapped myself many times and you really really want to avoid it if you can (kind of the point), but I'm not traumatised. The original pig farmers where I did my bit of training did make a special mention about remembering not to step over a live fence. Something about 6,000 volts in the gentleman's region did send a shiver down my spine, but so far I've managed to avoid that.

...sorry, just read the bit about lambs. No, in my limited experience electric is fine with lambs. Others have warned NOT to use the sheep netting as apparently that can cause problems with lambs. No experience with that. I did find that you have to have a wire VERY close to the ground for lambs. I *think* (I'm no expert) that sheep mostly only feel the jolt through their ears and face, so if the little blighters can get their heads under the bottom wire they are away to the races (or munching on my apple trees in my case).

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:52:14 pm by lars64 »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 11:46:00 pm »
Something about 6,000 volts in the gentleman's region did send a shiver down my spine, but so far I've managed to avoid that.

Bully for you Lars!  :innocent:      :rant:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Kerriech

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 11:00:45 am »
Thanks everyone. We have a smallish pen set up using pallets as walls to do the "training". What on earth did people do before pallets were invented?

I will let you know how i get on (and how many miles i had to run to get the wee blighters  :pig: back!!) when they get here.........

Nanzilela

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 11:53:51 am »
Training for pigs is not usually necessary, they have wet noses and are inquisitive so tend to train themselves. There are thousands of farmers who use a simple 2 strand electric fence to keep in their free range pigs.
 Make sure there is 6000v in the fence line and align one wire to their nose height.

Catweazle

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 08:37:11 pm »
If you put a few twists in the electric tape it doesn't catch the wind so badly.  It's a trick I use with ratchet straps on boat trailers.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 09:33:40 pm »
Training for pigs is not usually necessary, they have wet noses and are inquisitive so tend to train themselves. There are thousands of farmers who use a simple 2 strand electric fence to keep in their free range pigs.
 Make sure there is 6000v in the fence line and align one wire to their nose height.
Yes there are thousands of farmers using electric fencing to contain pigs. It is wrong to say that no trainng is necessary though because very often when a pig gets it's first shock it will bolt forward through the fence. Not what you want it to do. Pigs are clever and will quickly learn that freedom is easily obtained for the price of a quick jolt.  A solid barrier behind the electric fence is needed for a few days for training. I am speaking from experience not just spouting some stuff I read on the internet.

Catweazle

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 09:42:42 pm »
Yes there are thousands of farmers using electric fencing to contain pigs. It is wrong to say that no trainng is necessary though because very often when a pig gets it's first shock it will bolt forward through the fence. Not what you want it to do. Pigs are clever and will quickly learn that freedom is easily obtained for the price of a quick jolt.  A solid barrier behind the electric fence is needed for a few days for training. I am speaking from experience not just spouting some stuff I read on the internet.

Excellent point.  I made the mistake of setting the electric fence too far in front of the wire net fence,  and a couple of piglets bolted through the electric fence and got between the two.  They learned in about 5 seconds that this is not a good place to be and never did it again.

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 10:29:43 am »
We had similar experience when we got our first pigs many years ago. We had them behind electric albeit within a large enclosed field and the two GOS weaners who had never been trained, escaped forward through the fence when they got a shock. You definitely need to train pigs to electric but once trained, you should have no more problems.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS