Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which rat/mouse poison?  (Read 2567 times)

Marlin.45

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Llangadog, Carmarthenshire
Which rat/mouse poison?
« on: February 09, 2015, 10:37:51 pm »
Our bit of land seems to be infested with mice as the PO never bothered with any format of control accept around one barn. So far we have built up to 7 bait boxes over the year we have been here and the rats seem to have been cut back but the mice even make nests in the bait boxes....on top of the poison! After 2 weeks the boxes are usually empty.

I have tried a few types and the latest batch uses Diphacinone as the active ingredient impregnated into loose blur coloured grain.  What works for you guys?

Last week I discovered the little critters had decided to treat the fuel lines in our old Land Rover as a source of a snack ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:54:39 pm by Marlin.45 »

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
Re: Which rat/mouse poison?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:45:14 pm »
We were advised by our local rodent guy to get a product called Tom Cat, they are blocks of bait, they have a hole through the centre and you thread them onto string/bale twine and they seem to be doing the trick, the idea I believe is that they drag them back to the nest for the family meal :-J

I got mine from Mole Valley Farmers, a bit pricey but if they work, worth the money.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 05:49:56 pm »
Active ingredient bromodialone works for us.  They may not take it for several days - don't like novelty, but once you've identified a run or nest hole just refresh it every day until it stops disappearing, in which case you've probably destroyed that particular nest.  If you have a big problem new families will just move into the vacant territory, however.  Be particularly vigilant in the Autumn, when they're selecting their winter quarters.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 08:51:49 pm »
 Tomcat blocks here after trying different loose baits

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 09:46:51 pm »
I have to say that we used B&Q poison bags and they seemed to work.
I have to say that in the house we used traps with the B&Q rodent bait and it worked a treat.
Using traps - at least you know that they are dying.
We got 9 mice in the bathroom cupboard in one day.

Marlin.45

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Llangadog, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 05:25:51 pm »
Cheers all.

Luckily we haven't had any noticeable issues with rodents in the house, though there is evidence of droppings in the attics but they may be bats related anyway. I will have to get up there and do a finger test ;)

Cheers for the heads up on the Bromo blocks. I will get and try some of those.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS