Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: flowers for cutting  (Read 4501 times)

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
flowers for cutting
« on: February 09, 2015, 12:41:13 pm »
Can anyone recommend some easy flowers to grow for cutting? We have self catering accommodation and I would love to have a few home grown flowers in a vase for guests on arrival. Could anyone suggest something robust and easy to grow? (Not sweet peas- although lovely they are just s bit too fragile for my liking!) Thanks

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: flowers for cutting
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:54:45 pm »
I used to dislike cosmos but it's easy to grow if you avoid frost and looks very pretty in a vase.  Annuals such as plain marigold, cornflowers, and other simple-form flowers look so natural/rustic and mix well with the ferny foliage of the cosmos.  There are loads of other annuals you could try.

Sunflowers in a vase make a huge statement and are extremely easy to grow. :sunshine:

In spring, daffodils just grow themselves and look lovely in a jug with pussy willow and a bit of greenery. Other plants which just grow themselves include cow parsley which really sets off other flowers well.  Whilst roses are lovely and smell so sweet, they tend not to last very long in a vase.  I use marjoram which I let flower and that smells beautiful too.  My favourite ever flower is the wild primrose, which just pops up on its own, but there are perennial  garden varieties which are quite colourful.

I think it's a lovely idea to have a vase, great or small, of flowers for your visitors  :bouquet:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 05:17:52 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 06:00:08 pm »
We have a B and B and I was thinking about cut flowers this year, so suggestions really helpful. Thanks

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 09:54:41 pm »
Chive flowers, carnations, gladi's for later on, asters, I have to add sweet peas, dahlias,  bulb anemones, bulb alliums.
Alot of perennials are good - iris, cocosmia, chrysanths, phlox, gysophila  etc.

Lidl's/Aldi's will likely have a lot of summer bulbs/perennials soon for next to nothing - I'd stock up.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 07:45:28 pm »
You could do worse than pick up a couple of bags of daffs 7 some of tulips from the,likes of Wilkinsons , here is still just about time to put them inn and get flowers . The thing that guides me for cut flowers is the height anything that produces stems of 300 mm & taller are very useful so is some asparagus fern and rosemary for infill greenery .

I dropped over 1,000 corms bulbs & tubers in to our raised front beds four years ago , have added quite a lot more including a lot of dahlia ,, lilliums & mid sized Gladioli . I have also put in a couple of dozen true carnations some of the Japanese pinks & one ragged white  chrysanthemum .
This has given us outstanding flowers for most of the year it was about the 12 Jan when the last fuchsia died off , by the 1 st Feb we started to have a handful of crocus , over wintering giant pansies & giant over wintering primula coming through .

To take things on for even longer I added several hardy fuchsia which can also be used for delightful pink & blue bells in a flower vase or even good when just left in the beds. I've also been using trailing geraniums & nasturtiums to run flowers over the lips of some of our big stumpy vases
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 08:45:09 pm »
Thank you for the ideas. Cosmos are exactly the type of flowers I had pictured in my head but I'll have a look into some of your other suggestions too. Am I really not too late for planting daffs and tulips? If so I'll get some in this weekend. (one of the jobs I keep meaning to do but keep forgetting!) Thanks

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 02:06:50 pm »
I put another 100 daffs ( earlies  )  & 100 standard tulips in two beds on Monday the 9 Feb  ,  covered them with a 75 mm ( 3 inch ) layer of ground up sterilised coconut shell/copra plus a few shovels of home made compost after making it into a thick slurry in the wheelbarrow .

So far, none of the other tulips or daffs from last year have started to show through.
So as far as I'm concerned , for the new plantings they will have two chances ..  either to grow as blinds for this year & flower next year  or to be come some outstanding flowers this year ,albeit a few weeks later than usual . Which is not such a bad thing as it may give better continuous flowering in the flower beds
Either way I'm not bothered as they were an extra special offer, very cheap due the the store clearing the shelves for new lines of goods .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 09:49:15 pm »
Lidl's/Aldi's will likely have a lot of summer bulbs/perennials soon for next to nothing - I'd stock up.
There in now.  I grew some last year and they were great.

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 10:19:18 pm »
I was in farm and pet today and saw that they had reduced sacks of 100 bulbs from £7.50 to £1.50. Unfortunately I had no spare cash but I will raid the piggy bank and go back in the next day or so.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 05:23:48 pm »
Don't worry if they only come up a blinds this year ( No flowers ) ,. come mid Jan next year give them a sprinkle of dried fish , dried blood & bone meal ( DFBBM.
You'll have a great display of very vibrant colours  , you can also feed with DFBBM whilst they are in bloom , this will help them to make new baby bulbs for the next season .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS