Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kling on Blue.  (Read 3870 times)

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Kling on Blue.
« on: January 31, 2015, 09:51:42 pm »
Has anyone used this product?

I have a recurring problem with scald in a couple of my goats. Thought I would post here too as more people with experience might see it. Up till now I have been using Golden Hoof and treating all 4 of my little herd in a foot bath. It works very well but tends to recur, sometimes very quickly. Vet has no additional suggestions (one did have antibiotics once for a bas case that wouldn't settle).

Managing to keep it under control in pretty wet conditions here but the girls and I would all love a solution that doesn't need them standing in a bath for half an hour every couple of weeks! This stuff says it penetrates the hoof better and lasts longer and doesn't need prolonged soaking so you can just dunk each foot in.

It is very expensive compared to the golden hoof but if I only need to use a bucket rather than a foot bath a t a time would be worth it, but only if it does what it says!

Any opinions or experience?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Kling on Blue.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 09:54:01 pm »
Not even secondhand experience to share, I'm afraid, although I've seen a presentation about it.

Just posted to say, if you do try it, please let us know how you get on (here on sheep)  :eyelashes:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 09:17:15 am »
The instructions on my bag of Golden Hoof say 2 minutes for scald or preventative use, and half an hour for treatment of footrot.

Silly comment perhaps, but are you putting them back on the same ground again after treatment? If so, could that be avoided, to break the cycle more effectively?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 01:22:24 pm »
Unfortunately my space is limited (only a couple of acres) so they do go back on the same ground which as you say is bound to be part of the problem. They also share with a few Castlemilk Moorits who do not have problems but of course may have some natural resistance but are acting as a reservoir for the bugs too. Actually as the ground is pretty wet and they are very fussy about getting their feet muddy, so they spend most of their time in the barn which has dry clean bedding.

I have been soaking them a bit longer than the 2 mins for scald, even though they do not have footrot as it seems mean they clear up faster and don't recur as quickly. The 2 that haven't had problems just get the 2 mins.

I think it is something I am just going to have to manage rather than eradicate in this wet weather. I did ask the vet about the footvax vaccine as part of management but not liscensed in goats (no surprise there!) and they have no experience of it in goats but not for use in lactating animals so not an option at the moment it seems.

Bring on spring!

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 02:56:39 pm »
this stuff anything like bluestone?

Maureen

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 03:15:37 pm »
Two of my 11 sheep suffer from scald - I have to spray their feet with Teramycin spray every 3 weeks.  I asked my vet about Footvax, but he said it does not work for scald.  The others never suffer from it.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 06:12:13 pm »
I definately think it's a breed thing.

My angora goats have constant problems with scald, the dairy goats and crossbred kids never get it.  They're kept in the same spaces.
Some of the sheep get it others don't.

Neil Watson

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 08:18:52 pm »
vet recommended tylan soluble teaspoonfull in litre water works great on both goats and sheep

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 12:30:06 pm »
Have you tried spreading lime around places that they congregate?

Otherwise, cull them if they are repeat offenders.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS