Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice Needed Urgently On Keeping Rhea - Rescue Ones  (Read 5067 times)

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
Advice Needed Urgently On Keeping Rhea - Rescue Ones
« on: January 31, 2015, 11:20:05 am »
Just wondered if anyone can give me any advice.

We are in the process of helping with a rescue of poultry - ducks, geese, chickens along with a few other birds. In among the list was Rhea which I have never had. The rescue dropped a bombshell yesterday and asked us if we could take them - which me being me said provisionally yes. We do have plenty of space (21 acres in all) with chickens, ducks, geese, quail, sheep and goats.

I have found a supplier for Ostrich feed so that is sorted. How much do they eat as I want to make sure I get enough. We have sheep stock fencing around but I am thinking of making a temporary pen with Heras fencing until they get used to some of the goings on round here, like planes flying over. I was thinking about putting them with our goats temporarily - but think they will be too boisterous for them or would they be ok or would I  be better off keeping them away? They would be in the same pen but with Heras fencing between them for a couple of weeks.

What space would they need in the shelter?

I can't find the information I am looking for, just a shed would be ok for growers. As far as I know it is just 2, waiting to find out. I have been thinking about getting some but wasn't going to yet. We have the space so that isn't an issue. I just want to get it right from the start.

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:28:50 am by harefarm »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Advice Needed Urgently On Keeping Rhea - Rescue Ones
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 12:35:34 pm »
I'm sorry I can't help with any of your questions but it does sound exciting  :excited:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 12:50:32 pm »
Hi there... I know someone who keeps them or used to keep them, and have asked if I can forward her details to you.... she used to be a member of the Llama Society, hence my connection.
I will send you her details if she agrees to help....  :)

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 01:41:51 pm »
Thank you nimbusllama

Yes it is exciting.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 02:35:52 pm »
A friend of mine used to keep rheas as part of a kids zoo.
The one thing I know about them is that they are very excitable to the point of dying of stress.
 I lent them some donkeys which were put in a pen next to the rheas, and the birds went ballistic. So - no - I wouldn't put them next to your goats. At least not initially as they will be stressed out enough from the move.
 For a shelter, an open shed, say about 6' x 8' will do.
Food quantity - expect them to eat about about 2 - 3 times what your geese eat/bird.   
Good luck. :fc:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 03:15:29 pm »
They will often hunker down into a molehill shape for the night.  They need space to run, so length of area rather than a smaller square.  They can kick like a carthorse!

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 03:28:31 pm »
Was asking about Rheas in the 'other' section recently. I believe @roddycm used to keep them. Maybe you could message him if he doesn't spot this.

Good luck   :thumbsup: :fc:
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 08:48:00 pm »
Thank you for the comments so far.

I know there are alot of things to think about. I have only provisionally said yes at the moment until I find out everything I need to consider with these beautiful birds.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 10:55:48 pm »
I think you should also take advice from an experienced avian vet. As you already have birds of your own you really need to consider what other diseases youre bringing in with these "rescues"

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 10:08:57 am »
All the birds are being checked by a top avian vet who recently dealt with the bird flu scare. Any sick birds will not be coming here. But we are sorting areas away from our existing birds to keep them for a few weeks.

As far as we are aware from what we have been told the birds are in very good condition.

Thank you

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 11:43:55 am »
I have PM'd you with my friends contact details

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 01:18:39 pm »
Thank you. I will let you know how we get on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS