Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stiff back legs - advice please  (Read 4877 times)

Bekka

• Joined Jan 2014
Stiff back legs - advice please
« on: January 30, 2015, 04:52:52 pm »
I purchased an 5 year old in-kid Saanan in the summer. Over the past couple of months she has started to be uncomfortable on her back legs - lifting one up and swinging it, then shifting her weight onto the other. Vet prescribed a course of metacam - no change. She is due to kid next month so is pretty big, and of course the extra weight she is carrying isn't going to be helping. She seems to be getting worse and is reluctant to get up...even for her feed. However, she still has a very healthy appetite and is lively in herself.
I have the vet coming out next week to test her for CAE. Her previous owner bred her and all of her parents and grandparents - with no problems so not convinced it will be this.

Any ideas?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Stiff back legs - advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 10:03:30 pm »
It's unusual to see stiffness in the back legs I would say. She hasn't had any knocks, or been exposed to any chills/ drafts?

You are totally right that her pregnancy weight probably isn't helping  :(

Are her feet ok? They've been trimmed recently, and there is no heat or swelling anywhere?

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:12:37 pm »
Was half-way through my answer when Beth's reply came through...

Of course first check that the feet are ok (is she lame?, possible scald/footrot, shelly hoof with something stuck between the loose hoof part and the soft tissue of the hoof), there is no mastitis in her udder-( has she got an udder yet and if yes, is it hot, hard, lumpy?) and I would also check if any of her joints (pasterns, knee) feel hotter than the other leg. Goats do get arthritis, but I would have thought a 5-year old is nowhere near old enough. How are her pasterns (backlegs in particular)?

When is she due? Did she come with a clear CAE test to you or are you testing her first time?

Maybe you could go back and read through Clydesdaleclopper's post from April 14th, 2014 title.: Poorly Goat -any advice? to see if the symptoms are similar.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 08:42:41 am »
I was just thinking it sounded a bit like what happened to my girl - her ligaments on her stifle went and it dislocated and wouldn't stabilise. We reckoned it was a combination of pregnancy hormones loosening everything up and the altered stance from developing a very large udder prior to kidding - she was a BS too.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Bekka

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 11:00:23 am »
Hi All,

Thank you for all your thoughts. Feet and udders are all fine, it is defiantly hip related. Having spoken to the vet, we think she may have twisted it onthe uneven/ steep ground as she has previously been kept on flat land. Think we are just going to have to monitor her until the kid/s are born and then see how/ if she recovers. It is horrid to see her so uncomfortable.

Clydesdaleclopper - what happened to your girl?

Hope she recovers after kidding otherwise I think we might have to make a horrid decision....

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 11:45:36 am »
My girl didn't recover and had to be put down a few weeks after kidding  :(  but she was down and couldn't walk at all. I hope your girl is okay  :fc:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 11:57:52 am »
Keep her moving a few times a day every day until she kids, even just slowly walking round the field/yard on a lead. More to help her for the birth rather than to improve her hip/leg. Can you give ongoing pain-relief, maybe an anti-inflammatory (my vet often gives Flunixin as a pain relief/AI).

:fc: she manages to recover.

Bekka

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 01:11:41 pm »
Oh dear, not looking good is it?
She had a week of metacam but it didnt change anything.
She wanders around the paddock with her friends every day - just much slower... and doesn't join in the running and bucking games!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 02:57:17 pm »
Keep positive. She is walking around  :thumbsup:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 09:34:34 pm »
I agree, stay positive. The kids are not helping at the moment, and you could even find it is how they are positioned which might be pinching a nerve. Its a slight bit of hope I guess.

Beth

Bekka

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 11:47:57 am »
..Just spoke to a human physio - and she suggested that it may be Sciatica. All seems to make sense - fingers crossed it is that! It would explain why the anti inflam and pain killers didnt work..... :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 10:57:51 pm »
Did she make any suggestions to help alleviate it?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS