Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep feeding time. Troughs outdoors. Stampede!!  (Read 8951 times)

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Sheep feeding time. Troughs outdoors. Stampede!!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 10:46:43 pm »
I can't say its something I've seen, I wouldn't expect them to use the fronts to that extent with rolls vs blocks or roots  :thinking:
:wave: they only had haylage and adlib 16% protein molasses as normal and i got the rolls in as we had about a foot of solid ice/snow for more than 2 months .not sure it was what done there teeth but as i said was the only thing i had changed from normal . younger ewes were fine was only the old blackies .
but back to original post rolls are far easyer to feed on ground . i seen a guy who had a pen made in corner of field with hurdles used to keep them shut out till he had filled troughs .

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 06:24:50 am »
When I feed it's easiest to have a pen set-up, fill troughs inside, ewes queue up outside, then let them in and if I find anyone is not quite right I can check at the same time as all are in.! Easy!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 08:47:15 am »
If not too many sheep drop a handful into the first trough and while the sheep are all piling in to that put feed into the second trough, if a lot of sheep a handful in the second one too.  Go down the line and then retrace your steps and fill the first trough up.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 09:37:17 am »
If not too many sheep drop a handful into the first trough and while the sheep are all piling in to that put feed into the second trough, if a lot of sheep a handful in the second one too.  Go down the line and then retrace your steps and fill the first trough up.
I do it like that too; dump some at one end then go straight to the other end and back fill along the line. The sheep are too busy trying to catch up to get in my way then.  Mine BWM won't eat rolls, they are too big for them.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 10:05:15 am »
We are not big feeders here, and maybe that's why the sheep aren't picky. I can't say I've ever had a ewe turn her nose up at a ewe roll! Even the Lleyn ewe lambs or Charmoise they'd kill for feed seem to manage rolls ok, maybe its a BWM thing or do other people find their sheep wont eat them?

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 11:29:44 am »
Bought a bag of rolls last year - the Shetlands turned their noses up and the GFD tended to cough/choke on them.  Won't be buying them again.  Our ground is so muddy IMO  feeding on the ground is a waste of food and money, so it's lots of trough space and a quick run for me ;D (not that mine get much hard feed until lambing).  They have ad lib hay and mineral and feed blocks though.

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 01:06:09 pm »
I do it like that too; dump some at one end then go straight to the other end and back fill along the line. The sheep are too busy trying to catch up to get in my way then.  Mine BWM won't eat rolls, they are too big for them.

Me too.  I always feed in a line.  Works a litle better if there's some sort of screen between the troughs or racks.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 03:06:42 pm »
I don't have this problem as mine just get hay I also chuck a couple of large fodder beats that I get for the pigs an mine look the best they ever have :-)

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 09:25:06 pm »
Im Sure I can create a pen with hurdles or something . Good idea!

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 06:11:56 pm »
I used troughs when I had 30 ewes to feed, I used to put a few nuts in the first trough and then whilst they were arguing, I would run to the furthest trough and drop the nuts in as I walked back towards the bemused ewes. I was younger then, now I only have a few sheep and fill a trough inside then let them in !!  :roflanim:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 07:53:38 pm »
 I fed rolls on the ground for many years but got fed up of ewes temporarily choking  on them that I moved on to pencils and the clean up rate is just the same 100% and  much much less choking  .   I have 2 lots with troughs  120 and 140 and a one point I was feeding 460 in 1lot on the ground  and all I would say is once you start feeding  NEVER  stand still and be willing to go round  the odd sheep .

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 11:20:29 pm »
I don't have too much trouble with my girls stampeding.. they all know their place at the feeding bench ( made from 2 scaffold boards) However I've only got 4 sheep!
4 pet sheep

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 08:18:44 pm »
Troughs in a line for sure and run from one end to the other tipping feed as you go, keeping ahead of the sheep.

It doesn't always work though  :(

I have got a batch of 75 due to start on cake in the next week or so - when you have got feed for that many in a sack on your shoulder, you can't run very fast. I just have to accept that I will spend some time in the floor!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS