Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: retained afterbirth  (Read 6048 times)

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
retained afterbirth
« on: January 29, 2015, 03:12:30 pm »
  :( I have a ewe with a retained afterbirth.  She lambed (early) six days ago.  On vet's advice she's had long acting antibiotic and metacam twice.  Had hoped she would eventually expel it but the dried up 'dangly bit' remained and there's now an unpleasant smell (to be expected).  The ewe is fine in herself, eating up and doing her lamb well.

Was just interested in anyone else's experiences?     If you've had a ewe with this problem in the past has she subsequently lambed ok?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: retained afterbirth
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 05:56:14 pm »
This is a common problem in cows and sheep when babies come early. It'll come away when it's ready. It doesn't affect subsequent lambings  :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 06:23:45 pm »
Have you consulted your vet since?   May need to be topped up with a/bs.

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 07:37:38 pm »
I'd bring her to the vets or get them to see her and see if they can pull it off. Sheep don't tend to have this problem, cows have it more often and the general rule is to leave it until it comes off itself or 6-7 days, when the vet can come and try pull it gently. You don't want to pull it away too soon in case it causes unnecessary bleeding but after that long it should just come - it's generally just held in by the closing cervix.
Then she'll definitely need more antibiotics, if it smells it means there's infection and it wouldn't be good if it went back inside her uterus.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 02:30:02 pm »
thanks for the replies folks              no sign of anything being passed although dried up dangly bit has gone and less smell now        if it's been retained not sure how long it will take to totally decompose?  have kept her on antibiotic cover meantime and will re-assess and speak to the vet on Monday    Ewe still absolutely fine

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 04:38:00 pm »
Is it possible that the 'retained placenta' was actually just hanging onto the wool, with just a bit not fully out of the vulva?  We have had that, and it does smell, but not really of infection.  If the ewe stands on the trailing end, or rubs her backside against a fence, the trailing bit will come away and all is well.  Otherwise, if it really is the whole placenta retained then, if it was me, it's time to pop her in a trailer or pick-up and pop down to the vet for an opinion. 
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Moos and ewes

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 08:59:07 pm »
Hi newbie hear so hope you don't mind me hopping in, it's possible the antibiotics are holding off any infection causing your ewe to much problem at the momment, have had Similar that some has hung on a few days after and got smelly, might be worth asking vet for a pessery tablet to put in her, or them to do if you rather, this will with hope clean her out a bit,
Watching she's ok in herself is important if she goes off her food etc she's getting an infection which could be serious,
Like said might pay to chat to vet again, likely he will give her something like oxytocin, what is used nornally to let milk down if they are holding it up, this also relaxs the uterus in another action and alow placenta to come out,
Hope this helped a bit,

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 09:57:08 pm »
Good to hear your thoughts, moos and ewes.  Having been chatting with you on the Intro board, I just wanted to make it clear that it's to TAS that you are a newbie - you've been keeping sheep for 16 years, I think you said?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 01:32:46 pm »
Hi folks, would just like to add that oxytocin is only effective on the uterus within a couple of days of giving birth, after that the receptors disappear and it won't do anything there to help expel the retained membranes.
It will still help with milk let-down but it is a different physiological process.
Also oxytocin actually contracts the uterus, it the opposite of relaxing it - that's why we give it after assisted lambings/calvings if at risk of haemorrage.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 07:05:50 pm »
Quick update - still no sign of anything being passed at the beginning of last week (about 10 days after lambing) so spoke to the vet again.  She prescribed estremate (think that's what it was called - might be affected by lambing brain tho!) which was to initiate contractions to expel anything still there.  I was worried that if I had missed anything being passed that it wouldn't actually cause any problems.  The ewe was also given Zuprevo for long acting antibiotic cover.  The ewe is absolutely fine and her lamb is doing well so think I don't need to be concerned about it any more.  Thanks to everyone who contributed. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 11:25:51 am »
Thanks for the update, glad to hear all is going well  :relief:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS