Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bore holes, water wells  (Read 5862 times)

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
Bore holes, water wells
« on: January 28, 2015, 01:52:18 pm »
Not sure which section to post this in so mod if you need to move it please do. I am have just signed up to having a boarhole drilled I like the idea of having control over my own water.
The chap is already drilling further at another local property so It made sense as the rig is close by the other property they have drilled 90m and not hit water the other property is at 50m further up the hill from me.
The chap has said that if we do not hit water at the point I have suggested then the cost will be £1000 to cover his costs if we hit water the cost will be £4000 including the cap.
The rig that he is using can drill to 130m geologically we should hit water we hope.
My question is what do you think about the price ?
He has also said that if they don't hit water he will come back with a much bigger rig at no extra charge and try in a different spot.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Bore holes, water wells
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 03:51:34 pm »
We have a spring but before buying the house I made enquiries as to the cost should the spring not be adequate (it is - so no problem) and the borehole costs were in the same region as yo are being quoted.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 05:08:11 pm »
Sounds like an absolute bargain and is about half what I paid.

Don't forget you will need a pump and controls which will add a bit to the cost.

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 01:48:36 pm »
Finished drilling today hit water at 60m but carried on drilling down to a 100m Good volume of water at least 5ltrspm
http://youtu.be/1JNPrr-VY_c

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 12:44:28 am »
That must be a weight off your minds.

That 40 mtrs depth of water  .. how far will the bore hole  pump be submersed in it ?

I've just peeked at the video clip  ... was that taken with a UMAV at your place ?

Those ex military drilling rigs are worth their weight in gold for they are exceedingly reliable , well designed , very robust & effective .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 03:00:35 pm »
That must be a weight off your minds.

That 40 mtrs depth of water  .. how far will the bore hole  pump be submersed in it ?

I've just peeked at the video clip  ... was that taken with a UMAV at your place ?

Those ex military drilling rigs are worth their weight in gold for they are exceedingly reliable , well designed , very robust & effective .

The pump will be sitting at 95 m to ensure there is a good head of water above it. I am going to install a Lowara 2GS11M 4" Submersible Borehole Pump that will feed a 100ltr pressure vessel it will all be automatic.
Yes I filmed the rig with a UMAV.
The drilling is all finished today we installed the pipe in to the well just need to fit the cap and pump.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:47:36 pm by SmallWelshBarn »

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 07:52:05 pm »
Whooot.
  It sounds a good set up , will you be making a very sturdy enclosure around the wellhead ..
My mate Paul didn't and took it to bits with a girt big yellow & black  AWD tractor and a six furrow plough .

Was the UMAV hired or your own , if your own can you put up the details please. It's very clear viewing.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 11:26:43 pm »
Whooot.
  It sounds a good set up , will you be making a very sturdy enclosure around the wellhead ..
My mate Paul didn't and took it to bits with a girt big yellow & black  AWD tractor and a six furrow plough .

Was the UMAV hired or your own , if your own can you put up the details please. It's very clear viewing.

Its going to have a cement cap. Its not located in an area that any machinery can cause any damage.

http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1

I had too much time on my hands last week and decided I wanted to play around with my other toy a 1965 series IIa Landrover.
UMAV belongs to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMnDadR_ht4&spfreload=10

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 11:52:48 pm »
Thanks for the links . 

Arrragh series 1, 2 ,3 etc , in fact Landrovers of all kinds , the bain of my life , I hated them having had to repair them on & off for 30 odd years . What sort of axle breathers do you have on the axles ?

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 03:54:39 pm »
I think its is a Standard is brass shuttle valve. My series 2a is in bits at the moment as she is having a full re-spray in side and out new seats back and front and a clayton heater fitted.
Should look mint when she is finished.

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 07:27:42 pm »
Do you know how high above sea level you are ?

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 05:40:45 pm »
I think its is a Standard is brass shuttle valve. My series 2a is in bits at the moment as she is having a full re-spray in side and out new seats back and front and a clayton heater fitted.
Should look mint when she is finished.

For a 2A that chassis looks in excellent condition , is it the original one ?

Re the axle breathers ..... make sure they work , it saves developing blown seals

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS