Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bloody Black Eggs...  (Read 2126 times)

Ross Wheeler

• Joined Jan 2015
Bloody Black Eggs...
« on: January 28, 2015, 08:57:51 am »
Hi All I've been getting blood in our duck eggs... ?

As far as my research has gone there doesn't seem to a drake in the mix (without probing too far... yet) and heard it might be because of ruptures of unhealthy ducks perhaps? One of the Cayugas doesn't look great but assuming they are malting. Generally we take good care of our ducks which are all Organic fed and have plenty of space and fresh water etc.

Also we got our two Cayuga ducks around the end of the summer last year and no black eggs yet, hoping for some in Easter... how has other people's Cayuga eggs gone?

THANKS FOR READING ! :) any advice be grand x

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Bloody Black Eggs...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 10:34:09 am »
 You do get blood from time to time in eggs. Like you say, it's normally because a blood vessel has ruptured and it heals itself, but it's usually only a spot and only happens occasionally. 
It doesn't mean the animal is unhealthy. (Unless you're getting a whole eggful of blood!)
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 12:18:51 am »
Ditto for blood spots - not to do with it being fertilised. Very rare in my birds (from what I've seen).

I have Cayugas and am currently getting four or five a day from eight ducks so they're coming into lay. You do know they don't stay black eggs? The first couple of the season are black or very dark grey but they get paler quite quickly. Mine are already an off white so I think you have no chance of black eggs at Easter - sorry!

Ross Wheeler

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 10:32:52 am »
Thanks all that makes me feel better, seems to be odd bit of blood in odd eggs, little bit more than a spot. Hopefully it'll get better as time goes on I guess... :fc:

I did know the Cayuga's eggs fade over the season but didn't know it happened that quickly that's a shame :(

Many thanks all the same

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS