Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New spinning wheel  (Read 4217 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
New spinning wheel
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:59:49 pm »
I have just had delivered a Kromski Sonata and am looking forward to getting started. I love my Ashford Joy but it is quite small and I'm already having trouble with my spine curving so I want something that I will have to sit higher at. Having tried a friend's Sonata I decided I liked it and advertised for one on Ravelry.

I'm very frustrated because I haven't quite assembled it correctly but I am going to visit my friend on Thursday so she can sort it out. Dying to start spinning on it. A jumbo flyer is the next thing on my list.

I really MUST sell my Ashford Traditional now and I am getting crowded out with spinning wheels and I don't use her any more.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: New spinning wheel
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 03:05:29 am »
These look nice wheels. It will be interesting to see how you get on with it. Happy  :spin: :spin: :spin:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 11:10:39 pm »
Thanks, Sally. I'm dying to get started. I'll let you know how I get on.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 09:12:48 am »
I hope you enjoy your new wheel!  :spin:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 10:17:27 pm »
Thanks, Louise. I went to see a friend from my spinning group who loves fixing things (she used to be an engineer for Rolls Royce) and she spotted the trouble immediately. I have now had a go on the new wheel and  :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

The previous owner said he was called Vlad but I'm not so sure about that. I think he is a she and I'm just wondering about her name. I think she's saying she's Sybil.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 12:05:01 pm »
I've often wondered whether wheels have only one name, or a name for each owner. 

My second Traveller didn't have a name at all, then I sold it, then missed it so much I bought it back, whereupon she and I decided she was called Pidge, as in Homing Pigeon.  ;)  However, after getting the leftie Traddy, I found I wasn't using Pidge at all, so did in the end sell her again.  (To someone I know and like very much, so it didn't feel like a betrayal.  lol.)  Apparently she very clearly told her new owner her new name.  (Can't remember what it was - something like Emily, I think.)

Anyway, Sybil the Sonata sounds wonderful - any chance of a pic?  :eyelashes:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 09:46:33 am »
This naming of inanimate objects is a very British (and American) thing  :-J.... My spinning wheel is quite at home here without a name.... :o

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 10:17:36 am »
But how do you know that, Anke?   :innocent: ;) :-J :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 05:46:10 pm »
Mine says she is called Sybil. It's interesting that my wheels all have old fashioned names. So far: Betsy, Cynthia and now Sybil. And none of them names I particularly like.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 06:11:15 pm »
I love puns.  All my - well, almost all my dogs, cats, cars, computers have been named using puns.  The more tortuous and groan-inducing the better.

So imagine my feelings when my lovely leftie Traddie, after I'd lovingly treated, oiled and assembled her from new, when I finally started to spin on her, as that beautific smile spread across my face, the smile of one who has finally found her optimum spinning position... as all that happened, she announced that her name was Janet.

Janet.  Not Letitia the Leftie, not Sinestra the Sinister, not Doppel, not Ringer, not Mirror, not even a nod to her being a Leftie nor even a Traddy.  Just plain, I'm sorry but ordinary Janet.  (No offence to anyone named Janet.  I don't think Sally is any better a name, just I'd hoped for something a little more romantic for a spinning wheel.)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 07:57:50 pm »
I have 2 wheels and neither has a name

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 08:57:42 pm »
I bet they do, Sally. They just haven't told you yet.  ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 09:06:59 am »
I will wait to see if they speak up

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 12:52:48 pm »
I have enough trouble thinking up names for living things without trying to name inanimate objects as well. :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS